Database Kernel Software Development Engineer
Cloud computing is a paradigm shift for technology today. The database market is huge. As a member of AWS Database Services, you'll have the rare opportunity to shape fundamental components in an area with high business impact. Come, join us in the cloud revolution!
The Amazon Web Services Database Services team is looking for experienced technical experts in relational databases and large scale storage system technologies, who are excited about building large scale database systems that run across thousands of servers across multiple datacenters worldwide. These are core systems development positions where you will own the design and development of significant system software components critical to our industry leading database services architected for the cloud. Currently we have open positions in the areas of RDBMS internals, distributed systems and virtualized storage.
We are looking for experienced technical experts to help deliver industry leading next generation database services architected for the cloud. You will be part of the team that architects, designs, and implements highly scalable distributed database systems that provide availability, reliability and performance guarantees. This is a hands on position where you will be asked to do everything from building rock-solid components to mentoring other engineers. You need to not only be a top software developer with a good track record of delivering, but also excel in communication, leadership and customer focus. This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast growing business and help shape the technology, product and the business. A successful candidate will bring deep technical and software expertise and ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to deliver solid code that has a broad business impact.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services, gaining access to a suite of elastic IT infrastructure services as your business demands them. AWS is the leading platform for designing and developing applications for the cloud, has over 400,000 third party developers writing applications for the platform and is currently used by leading companies like New York Times, Netflix and NASA/JPL. See details at http://aws.amazon.com.
Database Services team within AWS is responsible for setting the database strategy and delivering distributed structured storage services to AWS customers for the relational and the non-relational database segments. This team delivers three services today called RDS (http://aws.amazon.com/rds/), SimpleDB (http://aws.amazon.com/simpledb/) and ElastiCache (http://aws.amazon.com/elasticache/). We believe that both AWS and Database Services business are in their infancy. Over the next few years, together they will represent a very large business for Amazon.
- 5+ year's overall development experience and 3+ year's enterprise software experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent - Masters in CS preferred.
- Advanced coding skills in C or C++, preferably on a Linux/Unix platform.
- Multi-threaded programming.
- Knowledge of data structures, algorithms, operating systems, and/or distributed systems.
- Solid Database Kernel expertise.
- Database engine internals - indexing, access methods, locking, logging, caching, transaction processing, replication, backup/restore, buffer management.
- Query processing (including query compilation, optimization and execution, distributed queries).
- Storage Technology and optimization (intimate knowledge of storage hardware a plus).
- OS internals.
- Distributed systems and messaging.
- Low level performance and tuning.
- Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well with people and be both highly motivated and motivating.
Meet Some of Amazon Lab126's Employees
Senior Manager, Hardware Reliability Engineering
Guneet leads the Hardware Reliability Development Team that works on the Kindle, Fire, and Amazon Echo family of products. Guneet's team plays an essential role in making products like Fire tablets robust and reliable so customers can use them for years.
Back to top