WHS Specialist 2021 U.S. (Entry Level)
- Seattle, WA
This role will start between January 2021 and September 2021. This is a full-time position.
Amazon is looking for high-potential leaders, who are ready to own their impact in Amazon Operations as a workplace health and safety specialist (WHSS). As a safety specialist, you will have an opportunity to promote a positive safety culture while complying with Amazon safety standards. The WHSS coordinates and implements all aspects of Amazon's Global Safety Program. If you are excited to coach associates and conduct trainings on workplace safety, apply to join our team in Amazon Operations as a WHSS! Amazon provides extensive training and development for entry level WHSS to learn to become exceptional safety leaders.
As a WHSS, you will maintain accurate daily, weekly, and monthly metrics to report to onsite management teams. You will also conduct risk assessments related to jobs performed (Job Hazard Analysis) and new equipment introductions for associates. In addition, the WHSS is responsible for recommending appropriate risk mitigation measures to management, including ergonomics, in Amazon's Fulfillment Centers.
What is fulfillment you ask? Fulfillment is how we refer to completing or fulfilling a customer's Amazon.com order and the acts of picking, packing, shipping and delivering their order to meet or exceed their expectations! Our Operation's workflow can be broken three major lanes: first mile - where the product is housed and ready for your order; second mile - where your order is hauled to your area; and last mile - when the product is delivered to your door. Please note that all lanes have slight building variations, but one thing is constant, our vision and dedication to the customer.
Locations and Placement:
• The position is NOT a corporate role and will be located in a fulfillment center, sort center, delivery station, or other warehouse environment
• Must be willing to relocate at time of hire (position location is most heavily weighted on business need but will also take into account individual location preference)
• Identify and inform management of compliance issues, safety risks, and improvement opportunities through conducting daily, weekly, and monthly audits
• Facilitate incident investigation process
• Maintain required paperwork to comply with Amazon and OSHA regulations
• Enter Safety Incident Information in internal database in a timely manner
• Perform safety observations & audits
• Train and assist others (area managers, safety team members, etc.) to complete their safety responsibilities (audits, follow safety rules, etc.)
• Perform specific safety training as required by the Safety Manager
• May have additional responsibility for fire prevention, hazardous waste management, or other safety related activities depending on the business unit and location
• Participate in process improvement activities and manage actions to completion
• Work weekends, holidays, and/or overnight shifts
• Work overtime both in peak season and as needed
• Stand/walk during shifts lasting up to 12 hours
• Walk in/and around the warehouse with great frequency; many facilities are over a quarter mile in length
• Access all areas of building, ascending and descending ladders, stairs, and gangways
• Regularly bend, lift, stretch and reach both below the waist and above the head
• A bachelor's or master's degree with a conferral date between May 2019 and August 2021
• Safety related degree such as Occupational Health & Safety, Health & Safety Management, or Environment, Health, & Safety
• Graduate Safety Practitioner (GSP) certification
• Knowledge of OSHA regulations specifically 29 CFR 1910, including lockout tag-out
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, especially around health and safety needs to all levels of the organization
• Experience in emergency response
• Ability to analyze and dive deep into data to provide thought-provoking, workable business solutions
• Currently holds First Aid and CPR certificates
• Experience in Worker's Compensation case management
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For Colorado based jobs: This position starts at $45,698/yr. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. For more information regarding Amazon benefits, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/benefits. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
Back to top