WAN Support Engineer I
- Seattle, WA
At Amazon, we strive to be Earth's most customer-centric company where people can find and discover anything they want to buy online. We hire the world's brightest minds, offering them an environment in which they can relentlessly improve the experience for customers. Innovation and creativity are built into the DNA of the company and are encouraged at all levels of employment. Every day we solve complex technical and business problems with ingenuity and simplicity. We're making history and the good news is we've only just begun.
Amazon, one of the top 100 companies in the United States, has an immediate opening for a WAN Support Engineer supporting our Fulfillment Centers globally. Fulfillment Centers handle millions of items from tens of thousands of vendors and ships them across the globe each day.
The successful WAN Support Engineer will be responsible for utilizing his/her skills to provide assistance to the operations team in resolving technical problems within the Fulfillment Centers revolving around Wide Area Networks. This position is the second level of support for the operations of the Fulfillment Center. Amazon seeks individuals who are willing to Work Hard, Have Fun, and join us in making Worldwide History.
They must have an advanced understanding of computers (both hardware and software), Local Area and Wide Area network connectivity, and demonstrated willingness to learn and apply new technology. They must possess superior technical aptitude, written and oral communications skills and the ability to deal effectively with people in a wide variety of situations. Additionally they must possess strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability. Previous experience exercising high levels of initiative, judgment, and diplomacy required. Proven ability to operate in extreme high pressure situations, successfully handle multiple priorities and possess a high level of discipline while remaining flexible. They must possess superior people skills dealing with all levels of a team environment up to and including presentations and explanation of projects to upper level management. Regular activities include responding to Internet Service Provider service degradation, executing/directing advanced Wide Area Network troubleshooting/changes, and managing escalations to external partners or internal network teams accordingly. In addition, they will be providing mentorship and guided training to junior engineers and assisting in the creation of policy and troubleshooting procedures, project management of multiple projects simultaneously, complex problem solving, and assistance in managing the daily activities of the department. A willingness to relocate as career advancement opportunities throughout the company become available is strongly desired.
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Demonstrate advanced understanding of Local Area Networking concepts
• Demonstrate advanced understanding of Wide Area Networking concepts
• Advanced Troubleshooting skills in a multi-user high pressure environment
• Demonstrate understanding of networking concepts such as DNS, DHCP, Email, HTTP, SSL, OSI Model, and TCP/IP protocols and applications
• Demonstrate basic understanding of Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
• Experience with Data Cabling / Computer Facilities maintenance
• Experience communicating verbally and in writing with peers, management, contractors and vendors
• Experience working with an enterprise ticketing system
• Ability to manage multiple high priority projects, simultaneously
• Proven ability to work successfully with little to no supervision
• Willingness to work flexible shifts and scheduling including nights, weekends, and holidays
• Bachelor's degree in Computer science or IT related field
• Understanding of Carrier Data Networks operations and troubleshooting
• Experience in working with or directly for Internet Service Providers (ISP)
• Moderate to advanced understanding of Border Gateway Protocol
• Cisco CCNA/CCNP certification
• Advanced troubleshooting skills of very complex systems
• Ability to explain complex IT concepts in simple terms
• Proven ability to mentor junior engineers
• Ability to travel up to 10%
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top