VAT Controllership Manager
- Arlington, VA
Amazon's vision is to be Earth's most customer-centric company; to build a place where people can come to find and discover anything they might want to buy online. Originally known as an online bookseller, Amazon has dramatically expanded its range over the years both in terms of products it sells and how it sells them, as well as diversifying into web services, online video, and so much more.
Amazon's diverse internet businesses require VAT filings in a number of jurisdictions Internationally. We are looking for an experienced VAT manager to join our International VAT Compliance & Controllership (C&C) team as the Manager of VAT Controllership. VAT C&C is a well-established team based primarily in the US, which is responsible for VAT Controllership across the Rest of World (ROW) region within the International team as well as providing support to Tax colleagues and the wider business.
The role will have ROW VAT focus, including design and implementation of VAT controls, identification and mitigation of VAT risk, management of quality control, and identification and implementation of process improvements. The role will involve also participation in cross-functional business projects and will therefore also require project management ability, understanding of financial systems, and technical accounting awareness.
• Working with the VAT C&C team on implementation of strategies to improve controls and reduce risk;
• Actively working as part of teams supporting cross functional project launches end-to-end, from scoping through to testing and launch;
• Actively participating in rolling out an enhanced "VAT Control Framework";
• Contributing to the FAS 5 VAT provision process;
• Working with internal business partners to define, implement, review and improve quality control, including identification of internal risks and solutions to mitigate them;
• Providing audit support and data analysis review processes;
• Providing support and advice to Tax colleagues as well as the Business and Accounting teams.
The role can be based in either Arlington or Seattle
• 8+ years' of experience in tax, finance, or a related analytical field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Tax Qualification and/or License
• Relevant accounting experience (public/private mix preferred)
• CIMA, ACCA, ACA, AAT or similar credentials preferred
• Experience of compliance in European jurisdictions advantageous
• Second language (e.g. German, French or Spanish)
• A team player with a hands-on attitude.
• A good communicator with excellent inter-personal skills who is confident in communicating with others at all levels.
• A problem solver.
• Organized, analytical and methodical with strong attention to detail.
• A confident MS Excel user.
• Able to take ownership and responsibility for their work under minimal supervision.
• Able to work to tight deadlines, and under pressure.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Experience in VAT compliance and consulting (10+ years).
• Analytical, auditing and compliance skills.
• Experience of accounting and audit methods and systems.
• Demonstrated ability participating in milestone driven projects.
• A strong desire to exceed expectations.
• Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
• Strong organizational and project management skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top