The Trade Compliance teams ensure that Amazon transactions satisfy legal requirements to file complete and accurate export and import declarations with local customs and other government authorities for international shipments. Global Trade Compliance (GTC) and Global Trade Counsel are responsible for procedures for assigning and reporting correct and accurate import and export classifications, customs values, and country or origin. These data elements are used by local customs, tax or other government authorities to determine, among other things, the rate of duty, the amount of duty and tax, and the exportability/admissibility of the shipment. Consequences of inaccurate declarations include delays, underpayment or overpayment of duties and taxes, fines or penalties, seizure, and revocation of import or export privileges.
'Trade Compliance' provides import and export classification to Amazon.com ASINs (Amazon Standard Identification Number) by ensuring Amazon Inc is committed to comply with laws and regulations of the countries in which it conducts its business, and their respective import, export, trade, customs and other relevant agencies.
Your job responsibilities as a Trade Compliance Specialist may include:
- Manually classify products with tariff classification codes based on business requirements.
- To audit the results of the team's output and ensure the output achieves expected accuracy
- Mentor/train overall team to improve metrics (efficiency, quality) and progress to next level functionally by sharing knowledge
- Identifies gaps and drives improvement/ optimization initiatives that work toward a metric improvement within processes/functions at site level
- Develops processes or tool components with documented SOPs for new processes or activities undertaken by the function
In addition to the core responsibilities listed above, you will be expected to take on a larger organizational role. These can include tasks such as:
- Responsible for productivity, quality, and coverage metrics goals
- Analyzes data and is responsible for highlighting gaps, recommending solutions, driving/influencing inter-function decisions
- Deep dive into a problem, performs 'root cause analysis,' and identifies constraints and recommend solutions to fix business problems
- Drive continuous improvement and documenting any issues/RCAs/action planning in functional area and owns specific action or change recommended
- Training and mentoring new hires and other associates, suggests improvements to training
- Creation and maintenance of SOPs and supporting documents that mandate for classification process
- Interacts with multiple stakeholders to communicate on process & operations and represents data/metrics information and project reviews
Strong written and oral communication skills in English
- Good working knowledge of MS Office, MS Outlook; MS Excel proficiency is an advantage
- Strong attention to details
- Ability to analyze and identify patterns in large data sets
- Decision making aptitudes based on given guidelines and in ambiguous contexts
- Must be comfortable working with large data sets
- Very good knowledge and experience in internet navigation and research finding specific information about products in a timely manner.
- Graduation in any Discipline is required for this position
- 3-5 years of experience in HTS & ECCN classification, with strong knowledge in Import & Export regulations, Free trade agreements (FTA), Country of origin (COO)
Retail industry experience.
• Experience leveraging technology to drive process improvements.
• Experience with Lean Six Sigma and other process improvement tools.
• Familiarity with SQL.