The AWS Documentation team is looking for a technical writer to work on OpenSearch, the community-driven, Apache 2.0-licensed search, analytics, and visualization suite with advanced security, index management, anomaly detection, and more. Ideally, you have a passion for open source software, a working knowledge of search technologies and NoSQL databases, and the ability to deliver best-in-class developer documentation alongside a team of software engineers, product managers, and user experience designers.
• Test new features, learn how they work, and document them in crisp, easy-to-follow language.
• Update reference tables, API summaries, and sample code.
• Work with developers and product managers to ensure that content is technically accurate and written for the appropriate audience.
• Work with designers on concise, helpful user interface text.
• Become an OpenSearch expert.
Our team places a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
The AWS Documentation team writes and provides support for a diverse audience consisting of developers, DevOps professionals, IT professionals, technical program managers, and scientists. We have both the technical background and the writing background that enable our team to deliver high-quality technical documentation. On behalf of our customers, we do much more than just write the docs. We innovate, we research, we learn, and we experiment. We collaborate with product managers to understand our customers' needs. We partner with software developers to learn the inner workings of AWS services so that we can influence design and the customer experience. We know that what we do makes a difference in the successful adoption and implementation of AWS services.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level, and other factors. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• A minimum of two years as a technical writer creating documentation for a developer audience
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• A degree in computer science, English, technical writing, or a related field
• Ability to write sample code in at least one programming language, Java and Python preferred
• Familiarity with search technologies or NoSQL databases
• Comfortable with Git and the Unix command line
• Expertise with popular open source software: Elasticsearch, Lucene, Docker, Linux
• Understanding of the AWS security model and general computer networking
• Experience with Markdown and GitHub
• Familiarity with HTML and CSS
• Experience with JSON and REST APIs