Technical Writer, Sales Content
- Dallas, TX
Would you like to join a team focused on producing action-oriented content for the Amazon Web Services (AWS) field? Do you have a passion for helping sellers serve their customers, a strong understanding of content management, and a desire to dive deep into AWS technologies? This position is for a Technical Writer for the field enablement portal, which supports the AWS field (Sellers, Account Managers, Solutions Architects). As part of the Enablement, Training, and Communications organization, our team supports key Knowledge Management (KM) and Seller Journey initiatives, driving awareness and alignment of top-line priorities and supporting field onboarding.
You will work with stakeholders to ensure our field content is relevant, usable, fresh, and easy to find. As a result of your efforts, AWS sellers will get the knowledge they need to work effectively and efficiently throughout the sales cycle, so they can maximize face time with customers. It's a great opportunity to partner cross-functionally with like-minded individuals who are similarly obsessed with helping the field ensure customer success. You'll collaborate with Technical Content, Product Marketing Management, Go-to-Market Specialized Sales, Go-to-Field Enablement, Operations, and Training & Certification teams to support a wide range of programs. The breadth of content programs spans many areas: for example, Services & Solutions, Industries, Partners, Training & Enablement, and Sales Operations & Tools. What else makes this role exciting? You'll work closely with Content program managers, Platform product managers, Information Architects, and Content Strategists to drive initiatives for speed, quality, and scale. Our current focus is on content quality, governance, and self-service content creation.
Amazon culture provides rich learning opportunities. We use data to understand how well we are meeting our goals. We're not afraid to switch gears quickly as needed. We provide a safe environment to explore, experiment, and iterate in support of better customer experiences. Amazonians are curious and enjoy new technologies for authoring, publishing, search, collaboration, and automation.
The ideal candidate has excellent writing, editing, time management, and communication skills. You will bring a critical eye to insist on the highest standards for the sellers' information experience. Your background in cloud services enables you to interact effectively with subject matter experts and content consumers. As a strong collaborator, you have backbone and advocate on behalf of our customers, yet you are able to disagree and commit when needed. You show serious obsession for customers, and works backwards to understand their needs, and you deliver results in an ambiguous and rapidly changing environment. You're able to own content projects from start to finish, understanding trade-offs while mitigating risks and measuring impact.
• Take a consultative approach during content intake, coaching content owners through the process: validating page objectives and audience, ensuring content readiness, rationalizing redundant site content, handling asset permissions and version control, building the pages following documented guidelines, and training experts to maintain their content.
• Contribute to the team's efforts to raise our content standards by focusing on content structure, metadata provision, term management, and authoring guidelines.
• Work with subject matter experts to address gaps in content coverage, asking great questions to advocate for sellers and customers.
• Apply topic-based writing, minimalist principles, and reuse strategies in preparation for XML authoring and a migration to a content management system (CMS).
• Support activities to evolve the platform: defining requirements, writing business rules, attending feature demos, doing user acceptance testing, verifying bug fixes, communicating changes, and managing stakeholders.
• Support program managers in developing new mechanisms for content quality: for example, freshness, findability, and feedback mechanisms.
• Collaborate on content analytics and Voice-of-the-Field mechanisms to develop customer insights and action plans for the content you manage.
• Recommend guidelines as needed in support of our different publishing mediums and channels, and to help us prepare for personalization.
Other preferred locations: Seattle, WA/ Dallas, TX/ Boston, MA/ Arlington, VA/ Vancouver Canada.
• At least four years of experience as a technical writer in a software field.
• At least two years of experience using HTML for web content.
• Experience in XML and structured authoring.
• Experience using data analytics to measure content performance and identify actionable insights.
• Bachelor's degree in English, Technical Writing, or related field, or comparable job experience.
• Exceptional writing, editing, organization, collaboration, and communication skills.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment.
• A content-first, tools-agnostic mindset.
• High-level understanding of cloud computing, IT infrastructure, and different programming languages, preferably with an understanding of AWS products, solutions, and services.
• Experience measuring SEO performance and optimizing content to increase organic traffic.
• Editorial and project management experience.
• Experience with ticket tracking tools, such as JIRA, Clarizen, or other systems
• Expertise in developmental editing or writing UI instructions
• Experience working successfully in teams and helping others in your team succeed.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top