Would you like to make history in Amazon's industry-leading cloud computing space?
Data Center Global Services (DCGS) is looking for a technical writer to develop procedural documentation to support data center operations internationally. This writer will also support a global training program to improve employee English-language business writing skills.
DCGS is responsible for building and maintaining the electrical plants, cooling plants and physical spaces that support Amazon's servers. The technical writing team plays a vital role in keeping data centers up and running by making sure the methods and procedures that engineers and technicians follow are clearly described and easy to follow.
- Develop operations, process, and procedure documentation for engineers, electricians, and mechanics
- Transform technical concepts into documentation that is easily understood
- Develop and deliver in-person and remote training to data center staff
- Conduct peer edits for grammar, style, and form
- Independently follow established document designs and standards
- Work with documentation management systems and help oversee the lifecycle of documents
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in English, Technical Writing, Computer Science, or related field
- Ability to write clearly and with grammatical accuracy
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and focus on quality
- A proactive attitude to resolving problems and delivering results.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, complex projects with tight deadlines and time-critical deliverables through their entire life cycle
- Ability to stay on target and on track under normal circumstances, and to expedite efforts when required
- A minimum of 5 years of technical documentation experience
- Experience using multiple authoring tools
- Experience developing and delivering training
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Proven success designing, writing, and editing technical documentation for an engineering community
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Experience interviewing experts, such as mechanics, electricians, or engineers, to elicit essential content
- Experience with XML-based publishing systems
- Domestic and international travel
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Combined technical background to easily interact with engineers
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high-quality technical documents and training
- Proactive and able to ramp up on new concepts and methods quickly
- Ability to identify opportunities to improve processes and tools, driving team improvements and contributing to the effectiveness of the work environment
- A passion to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Previous experience writing procedures for people working in dangerous environments
- Experience working with remote teams
- Experience working in a data center, networking, or manufacturing environment highly desirable
- Experience writing documentation related to infrastructure, mechanical, or electrical highly desirable
- Experience developing and delivering training in technical writing and business writing
- Familiarity with one or more compiled or scripting languages, such as C#, Python, Java, or Ruby
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top