With Amazon Flex, people can be their own boss while earning up to $25 or more delivering ultra-fast Prime Now, AmazonFresh, and Amazon.com orders. We operate globally and are rapidly expanding into new products from groceries (including Whole Foods!) to big-screen TVs in an increasingly complex transportation network. Flex also operates Amazon's only physical retail footprint with grocery stores and Amazon Lockers. You can find out more about Amazon Flex at flex.amazon.com.
Our Technology group is responsible for building software (on the intersection between science and technology) that makes it possible to deliver these orders in one hour or less. We partner with tech teams across multiple VP-level organizations, operations and product teams for multiple businesses, and science to build tech that optimizes various aspects of delivery decisions. Our systems forecast customer order volume to plan how many drivers to recruit into the Flex program months from now, how many drivers to call in to work in a few days, and how many to urgently call in right now. We build vehicle routing solvers that optimize delivery efficiency by approximating solutions to the Traveling Salesman Problem subject to various real-world constraints (for example, drivers can only fit so many packages into their cars). We build pricing models which allow us to fairly incentivize drivers and ensure that orders make it to customers on time. Our ability to engage with, support, and provide a truly innovative experience to both customers and our delivery providers has become more critical as we continue to expand the number of delivery providers and customer product offerings.
We're seeking a Technical Program Manager to be a part of our group. In this role you will be the single threaded leader owning programs to deliver complex projects across multiple teams. Responsibilities also include identifying business and tech requirements, partnering with various stakeholders, writing specifications, scoping, driving project schedules from design to release, and managing the production launch. You will lead and coordinate design/implementation efforts between internal science and engineering teams. You will be expected to make appropriate trade-offs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and remote project teams. You will own communication through various stages of the product lifecycle: from 1-pagers and PRFAQs at inception, flashes and MBR/QBR updates through implementation, and launch announcements for celebration. You will present and share these to broad audiences including engineering and business leadership, partner teams, and stakeholders.
The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading large to extra-large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. As a TPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
• 5+ years of technical program management experience
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent experience.
• 10+ years of Technical Program Management experience with related technologies, including managing significant cross-functional projects in mid-size or large companies.
• 5+ years hands-on experience building software solutions with current service-oriented technologies.
• 4+ years experience leading development teams to design/architect business software solutions.
• Experience with both oral and written communication, demonstrating the ability to express thoughts clearly and concisely to multiple levels of stakeholders.
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Experience building customer relationships, including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions.
• Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects through work prioritization, planning and task delegation.
• Proven ability to communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders at all levels of responsibility.
• Quantitative analytical abilities
• PMP or Project Management Certification.
• MBA or advanced degree in a quantitative field or Master's in Business Administration.
• 3+ years of coding experience in any programming language
• Strong presentation skills, and the ability to motivate and inspire large groups of people.
• Familiarity with building large scale solutions across many integrated and distributed systems, with great availability, performance, and security.
Hear directly from employees about what it's like to work at Amazon.