We're reorienting Amazon's outbound fulfillment systems. Our fulfillment network is radically different from the one we had just five years ago. Today we rely on a greedy per-package cost optimization, which made sense when Amazon fulfilled exclusively via Third Party carriers. But now Amazon fulfills over 50% of units using First party assets from the FC to the customer address (Sort Centers, Middle Mile, Last Mile). With First Party fulfillment, the resources are procured well in advance of demand, and the cost of such resources is mostly sunk. To efficiently use First Party resources, we need to shift from optimizing on a per-package level to a new system that manages the flows in our network. The new system will eliminate manual inputs where possible and expose simpler levers that let us strike a balance between cost, speed, and risk. This space requires a high level of strategy, engagement, execution, and operations to evolve the fulfillment capabilities for the next decade and solve 21st century problem with a 21st century cutting edge technology. This initiative is fundamental to Amazon's future, and will provide great personal satisfaction and career development as we tackle some of the most intriguing transportation problems.
As a Senior Technical Program Manager (TPM) for the Amazon's Transportation Optimization team, you will be responsible for developing the next generation of transportation optimization and control technologies. The right candidate for this role is someone who has both a strong technical background, and either technical management or program/product management background. You must be comfortable working with both service oriented architectures, and large, complex data sets. You must have a diverse set of unblocking tools and mechanisms, resulting in an ability to cultivate relationships and earn trust with teams both inside and outside of your overall organization. You must be able to thrive in both start-up and more mature business environments, be truth seeking, and be willing to not only operate strategically, but be willing to roll up your sleeves to get the job done yourself. No idea is too big for you to consider, and no task is too small for you to deliver on.
You will partner with engineers, other TPMs, Product Managers, Operations Partners and senior management to help create world-class solutions. We're looking for people who are passionate about innovating on behalf of customers and demonstrate a high degree of product ownership. The ideal TPM is a creative, demonstrated leader with superior analytical abilities and an expeditious drive to deliver results. This opportunity requires deep technical, problem-solving and communication skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or technical field of study
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• 5+ years of product management experience with high-quality and large-scale services including customer analysis, market segmentation, KPI management, operational management, and roadmap development
• Strong attention to detail, problem-solving, analytical and organizational skills
• Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals
• Strong product management background with finance, technical management, and end customer research experience
• Ability to grasp complex problems and quickly synthesize cohesive solutions
• Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines while managing multiple competing projects in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated ability to influence over authority to drive project deliverables
• Ability to dive deep into data, existing processes, people, and systems in order to invent, simplify, and improve inefficient or unnecessarily complex processes
• Master's degree in Computer Science and/or Business Administration
• Prior experience as a software developer or software program manager
• Experience with an e-commerce, transportation, or big data company