Technical Business Development - BioMedical Research
Do you want to be a key part of the worldwide public sector team focused on increasing the reach of cloud computing with Principal Investigator in the Higher Education and Government ? Do you have a vision for how to accelerate research using advanced computational methods ? Do you have the industry background, technical depth, and communication skills needed to help further establish Amazon as the leader in the industry? Biomedical Research and Genomics are accelerating the development of novel diagnostics, treatments and is the cornerstone of personalized medicine. AWS is looking for a Business Development leader who understands technical trends impacting the industry, the grant process within higher education and is passionate and capable of driving market development across the sector globally for AWS, leveraging the richness of the AWS cloud computing platform to position and drive the right technology solutions, enable the ecosystem, and address changing needs unique to BioMedical and Genomics research in a University setting.
Your responsibilities will include recommending and implementing systems and processes that will optimize use of AWS service in biomedical research working with business development and solution architects to enable and deploy solutions and keeping abreast of scientific and technical approaches in the realm of bioinformatics. You will work with key customers and prospects to understand optimized tooling and approaches to genetic analysis, processing and data storage. You will work closely with AWS Solutions Architects to develop and promote cloud patterns and solutions for the genomics industry, including high performance computing, storage optimization and partner based solutions etc. You will also work closely with the AWS product and services teams to help evolve AWS offerings for more rapid adoption by customers.
The ideal candidate will have both a scientific and business background, with experience working with university and other public sector customers, with demonstrated experience interacting at the PI and Director level, with a good understanding of genomic science, bioinformatics and technology. He/she should have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges, with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions, and work cross-organizationally to build consensus. A keen sense of ownership, drive, and scrappiness is a must.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Serve as a key member of the Business Development team to drive overall AWS market and technical strategy for the biomedical research market
- Represent AWS within Industry Forums and support direct engagement of PIs within the BioInformatics community
- Facilitate the translation of research requirements to AWS service and help define education paths for on-campus research core teams.
- Foster a community of practitioners leverage cloud to advance their research.
- Define and identify and key technologies and patterns that are used in bioinformatics and genomics processing and identify and engage key partners including ISVs and research consortium
- Understand the technical requirements of our customers and work closely with the internal development teams to guide the direction of our product offerings for developers.
- Present technical and scientific reviews to the senior management team regarding progress and roadblocks to expanding our reach in the industry.
- Handle a high volume of engagements and interactions in the fast pace of the cloud computing market.
The right person will be scientific and technical, and possess at least 5-10 years of bioinformatics experience supplying technical solutions to the Genomics industry.
- Have held leadership positions within a Genomics Core, Bioinfomatics Core or other shared services organizations within a university or private research organization.
- Experience communicating and presenting to senior leadership within a university and funding agency setting (NIH or other global organization)
- Relevant technical knowledge is helpful, such as R, RStudio, algorithmic development with Python or PERL and an understanding of the required supporting infrastructure.
- Experience with genomic pipeline development, analysis and tooling as well as database systems, core distributed computing concepts, storage systems, fundamentals of cloud computing and virtualization, etc. with ability to go deep enough on relevant technologies key to the industry.
- Education- a PhD is desired; technical background with Computer Science, and/or Biochemistry/Genomics background is highly desired; working knowledge of software development practices and data center / infrastructure / networking technologies highly desired.
- Willingness to Travel up to 30%.
The right person will be scientific and technical, and possess at least 10 years of experience preferable working with or as part of a core team supporting university research.
- Prior grant writing experience
- Experience working in a Business Development within a supplier organization working with the biomedical research industry
- Prior engagement with industry consortium such as Global Alliance for Genomics and Health
- Experience working with or supporting genomics and medical datasets such TCGA, EMBL, NCBI
- Experience with the application Machine Learning within BioInformatics and Epidemiology would be an advantage
- Direct experience with the leading Genomics pipeline tools is a plus.
–Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top