- Seattle, WA
AWS Commerce Platform is seeking a talented Systems Development Engineer to own automating operational and business practices. You should be a self-starter with a bias towards independent problem solving. This will include identifying and resolving issues, as well as automating and improving repetitive processes. You will become intimate with the architecture of the platform, and be responsible for diving deep into the details while developing solutions for our customers and services. You'll drive prioritization of operational issues, and drive automation design and scaling requirements in support of the wider organization.
AWS offerings such as EC2, EBS, S3, ElastiCache, EMR, Aurora, and RedShift are massively scaled services that make up a critical piece of the internet. Commerce Platform processes trillions of events per month from AWS services such as these to provide bill generation, payment processing, fraud prevention, customer usage, and analytics to both AWS customers and internal users. Because we sit at the nexus of all AWS services and interact directly with end-customers, we work closely with other AWS teams to ensure our customers are provided with a great experience.
This role is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical team in Seattle, WA working with some of the best and brightest engineers and technical managers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
Our systems engineers focus on:
• Investigating new ways to improve operations and defining new solutions to solve technically complex cloud issues for our customers
• Investigating system variances about to affect major services worldwide
• Diving deep into service interdependencies and region specific configurations to find the root of a problem about to affect an entire nation
You'll be part of a world-class team in a fast-paced environment that has the entrepreneurial feel of a start-up. This is an opportunity to operate and engineer systems on a massive scale, and to gain top-notch experience in cloud computing. You'll be surrounded by people who are passionate about cloud technology and believe that world class service is critical to customer success.
The ideal candidate must be detail oriented, have superior verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, able to juggle multiple tasks at once, able to work independently and can maintain professionalism under pressure. You must be able to identify problems before they happen and implement solutions that detect and prevent outages. You must be able to accurately prioritize projects, make sound judgments, work to improve the customer experience, and get the right things done.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
• Bachelor's Degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related field, or relevant work experience.
• 2+ years of experience in Systems and Network Administration, DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering.
• 2+ years of experience with focus in areas such as systems, network, and/or application security.
• 2+ years of experience with web protocols and Linux/Unix tools and architecture.
• 2+ year experience building scripts, tooling, and automation for large-scale computing environments using Python, Java, PHP, Ruby, or Bash/Shell.
• 2+ years of experience with agile software development practices
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of Top Secret or above
• 5+ years of experience in Systems and Network Administration, DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering
• Experience running and maintaining a 24x7 Internet-oriented production environment, preferably across multiple data centers, involving (preferably) at least hundreds of machines
• Demonstrable expertise around specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools, and software management tools for 24x7 environments
• Familiar with the challenges surrounding efficient operations and failure mode analysis in large complex systems
• Experience with configuration management systems such as cfengine, Chef, or PuppetExperience with open-source technologies
• Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non-technical peers
• Understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Automation, testing or monitoring framework development experience
• Strong sense of ownership and drive
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We are dedicated to supporting our new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top