Would you like to drive the systems operations of the world's largest scale cloud compute platform?
Amazon Web Services (AWS) builds and operates some of the largest internet infrastructure on the planet; providing companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS, you can provision compute power, storage, database, and other cloud resources as your business demands them.
We are currently looking for a Senior Systems Engineering and Operations Leader to help us grow our systems organization. You love to work with internal and external customers to execute projects and resolve issues. You are a believer in the Dev-ops model of service engineering, and you are excited to run operations in an environment where developers don't toss problems over the wall. And you are happiest when you are working with empowered, world-class engineers to meet world-class challenges. Finally, with your strong ownership bias, you have an infectious desire to continually improve how things are done.
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
• Lead the deployment and operation of AWS Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) in regions with specialized security needs.
• Report on the health of these services at an executive level.
• Drive root cause analyses, and coach others on doing them, in collaboration with software development teams, as well as leading local development to improve operational performance.
• Drive continual improvement in systems operations through tool building and automation.
• Scale our services: lead the planning, hardware selection, costing, and provisioning of new capacity, including involvement in the sales process.
• Participate in the definition of the roadmap for our services - including brand new ones - in collaboration with our product managers, other development and engineering managers, and engineers.
• Define and drive projects and report on their progress.
• Meet with customers to develop relationships and clarify requirements and schedules.
• Create and refine the staffing and support plan for these regions .
• Collaborate with and learn from world leaders in distributed systems development and operations.
• Work in an environment where operational excellence is truly the first priority, and where the degree of automation is above bar.
• This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, or Mathematics or equivalent experience
• 7 Plus years of relevant hands-on systems engineering and administrative experience in networking, storage systems, operating systems
• 3 Plus years of experience as the systems engineering and operations leader for an Internet service or leading edge IT organization
• Masters or PhD Degree in Computer Science or related field
• Demonstrated success building and leading teams
• Strong performance engineering and capacity planning background
• Strong systems engineering fundamentals (networking, storage, operating systems)
• Leading development life cycle processes and best practices, esp. in the areas of deployment automation and monitoring
• Mentoring/training systems engineers
• Communication skills, both written and verbal
• Experience with the deployment and usage of monitoring systems
• Leading software development organizations in a "DevOps" model
• Experience with distributed systems at scale
• Forecasting and capacity planning systems
• Agile engineering practices (Kanban, continuous delivery, etc.)
• AWS service usage on commercial or government a plus