Systems Development Manager
Are you interested in helping the U.S. Intelligence Community operate on top of innovative cloud computing solutions and change how they do business? Would you like to be part of team supporting and using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping teams achieve more and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
AWS is hiring a Systems Development Manager to support the US Intelligence Community commercial cloud services!
This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical team in either Seattle, WA or Herndon, VA, working with some of the best and brightest engineers and technical managers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
Amazon Web Services is building some of the largest distributed systems in the world. Amazon's database offerings like Aurora, DynamoDB, ElastiCache, EMR, RDS, and RedShift are massively scaled services that make up a critical piece of the internet today.
A successful DevOps Systems Development Manager joining the team will do much more than manage infrastructure, tools, and people. They will be leading a team that builds automation and services that make operating a massive large scale distributed system simple and easy. In addition to this, you will be the focal point for owning end-to-end customer experience and will be channeling the requirements to improve the service performance, scalability and reliability.
The ideal candidate is:
Great fun to work with. Our company credo is "Work hard. Have fun. Make history." The right candidate will love what they do and instinctively know how to make work fun.
Enjoys being a really great people manager. Building, motivating and mentoring a world-class DevOps engineering team is the most important part of this role. You should have a proven track record in recruiting and retaining top talent and excel in day-to-day people and performance management tasks.
Has a strong understanding of Software Development, Linux & Networking Technologies. The ideal candidate will have past experience working as a software development engineer. You will also have a strong level of knowledge in Linux. You will enjoy keeping your technical skills reasonably current, to the point that you can still contribute to architecture discussions. You regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises and drive technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues.
Has strong project & product management experience. The successful candidate will create product roadmaps for the team. This will include helping innovate and invent new value-add services layered on top of our existing services. You will need excellent technical project management skills to deliver product roadmap items as well as other cross-team projects. Experience with Agile methodologies is an advantage.
Knows how to run a tight, lean, efficient operation. The right candidate will want to measure everything and be very data driven. He/she will excel at using metrics, monitoring and alarming to measure and improve the operational processes and performance of their team.
Applicants must possess and maintain an active Top Secret security clearance (TS) with SCI eligibility. A US Government administered polygraph examination may be required. Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access is not required to start; however, the applicant selected will be subject to a Single-Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified national security information. Applicants with a current SSBI, SBPR, or PPR, may be eligible for crossover in accordance with ICPG 704.4.
- 5+ years of relevant, engineering or technical experience
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated technical leadership
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive
- Ability to retain composure under stressful conditions, communicate effectively with a wide array of individuals at Amazon, and get the right things done.
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field with 5+ years relevant experience
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field with 1+ year relevant experience; or
- Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence.
- Have been successful working across organizational boundaries, bringing together people with diverse perspectives and experience to find solutions
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional customer relationship
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top