Seeking a Leader to expand a new AWS DevOps team!
Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community and Defense agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Are you the type of person that works with all teams to make operations a better place through automation and building tools? Would you like to drive the systems operations of the world's largest scale cloud compute platform? Then this is the job for you.
We are currently looking for a Senior Systems Engineering and Operations Leader to help us grow our systems organization. At Amazon, we hire hands-on managers at all levels. This leader must be able to dive deep into the details on business, operations and engineering. We need a technical, detail-oriented leader who can build and grow organizations. You will excel at hiring and developing both systems level and application level engineers. You will grow leaders in your organization and lead a charter that grows as your organization grows. Our services operate at large scale with workloads critical to national security, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is key. You will share big ideas and execute to deliver the next big innovations at rapid pace. Finally, with your strong ownership bias, you will continually improve how things are done.
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
• Hire, train, and grow new operations teams
• Drive continual improvement in systems operations through tool building and automation.
• Participate in the definition of the roadmap for our services - including brand new ones - in collaboration with our product managers, other development and engineering managers, and engineers.
• Drive root cause analyses, in collaboration with software development teams, as well as leading local development to improve operational performance.
• Scale our services: lead the planning, hardware selection, costing, and provisioning of new capacity, including involvement in the sales process.
• Define and drive projects and report on their progress.
• Report on the health of these services at an executive level.
• Meet with internal and external customers to develop relationships and clarify requirements and schedules.
• Collaborate with and learn from world-class leaders to meet world-class challenges, every day
• Work in an environment where operational excellence is truly the first priority, and where the degree of automation is above bar.
** This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
• Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Sciences, or equivalent work experience
• 7+ years of relevant hands-on systems engineering and administrative experience in networking, storage systems, operating systems
• 3+ years of experience as the systems engineering and operations leader for an Internet service or leading edge IT organization operating in a 24x7 environment
• Demonstrated success building and leading teams
• Strong systems engineering fundamentals (networking, storage, operating systems)
• Development experience with a high level language like python, ruby, or java
• Leading development life cycle processes and best practices, esp. in the areas of deployment automation and monitoring
• Agile engineering practices (Kanban, continuous delivery, etc.)
• Mentoring/training systems engineers and systems development engineers
• Experience with distributed systems at scale
• AWS service usage on commercial or government cloud
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We are dedicated to supporting our new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.