Systems Development Manager
- Hyderabad, India
Seeking a Leader for the Cloud Computing Operations team!
Would you like to drive the systems operations of the world's largest scale cloud compute platform?
Amazon Web Services (AWS) builds and operates some of the largest internet infrastructure on the planet; providing companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS, you can provision compute power, storage, database, and other cloud resources as your business demands them.
We are looking for a strong Systems Engineering and Operations Leader to build a new team and own the future growth of our organization at Amazon in London. A successful Senior Manager in the AWS EC2 org will do much more than lead teams of Systems Engineers in writing code, launching new features, and triaging problems. You will set the standard for automation and working at scale, dive deep into technical issues, and work diligently to improve the customer experience. You are a believer in the dev-ops model of service engineering, and you are excited to run operations in an environment where developers don't toss problems over the wall. And you are happiest when you are working with empowered, world-class engineers to meet world-class challenges. Finally, with your strong ownership bias, you have an infectious desire to continually improve how things are done.
The ideal candidate will also have deep experience working with Linux, preferably in a large scale, distributed environment. You understand networking technology and how servers and networks inter-relate. You regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting and conduct technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues.
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
• Lead the deployment and operation of AWS Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) in regions with specialized needs
• Report on the health of these services at an executive level
• Drive root cause analyses, and coach others on doing them, in collaboration with software development teams, as well as leading local development to improve operational performance
• Drive continual improvement in systems operations through tool building and automation
• Scale our services: lead the planning, hardware selection, costing, and provisioning of new capacity, including involvement in the sales process
• Participate in the definition of the roadmap for our services - including brand new ones - in collaboration with our product managers, other development and engineering managers, and engineers
• Define and drive projects and report on their progress
• Meet with customers to develop relationships and clarify requirements and schedules
• Create and refine the staffing and support plan for these regions
• Collaborate with and learn from world leaders in distributed systems development and operations
• Work in an environment where operational excellence is truly the first priority, and where the degree of automation is astounding
• B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering, related field, or equivalent experience
• 5 + years of experience as the systems engineering and operations leader for an Internet service or leading edge IT organization
• 7 + years of relevant hands-on systems engineering and administrative experience in networking, storage systems, operating systems
• Demonstrated success building and leading teams
• Performance engineering and capacity planning background
• Systems engineering fundamentals (networking, storage, operating systems)
• Leading development life cycle processes and best practices, esp. in the areas of deployment automation and monitoring
• Mentoring/training systems engineers
• Communication skills, both written and verbal
• Deployment and usage of monitoring systems
• Leading software development organizations in a "DevOps" model
• Exposure with distributed systems at scale
• Forecasting and capacity planning systems
• Experience with Agile engineering practices (Kanban, continuous delivery, etc.)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Back to top