Systems Development Engineer - Payments Security Engineering
- Dublin, Ireland
Amazon Payment Security Engineering is responsible for designing, building, maintaining and operating the infrastructure that supports Amazon.com's global payment systems. If you buy from Amazon, anywhere in the world you use our platform.
As a Systems Development Engineer in Payment Infrastructure Engineering, you will be a leader and innovator, finding new ways to do things better/faster/more efficiently. Our Systems Development Engineers are experts in their field, do what needs to be done and make the customer the focus of everything they do.
You have the ability to create and implement solutions that build on our world-class systems to make them better. Your work directly impacts how Amazon does business and keeping our promises to our customers.
Positions in Payment Security Engineering offer the opportunity to work with all aspects of modern IT technology, from being able to choose server hardware platform, through design and configuration of the network, OS automation and virtualization and even software development.
It is a challenge to work with such a wide scope of topics but it is also great opportunity for engineers who are looking to push themselves and prove that they can achieve great things. You will own systems processing millions of dollars every day!
Traits and Duties
Amazon Systems Development Engineers are expected to have a strong sense of ownership, be extremely reliable and have an excellent level of systems and technical knowledge backed up by hands on experience.
• You solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context
• You develop pragmatic solutions. You build flexible systems without over-engineering and choose simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones
• You continue to move forward in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge. You do not suffer from "analysis paralysis"
• You manage multiple priorities and get the right things done at the right times in spite of the fact that the workload is larger than you are
• You communicate clearly both verbally and in writing with your team and with other groups. You are able to translate detailed technical problems into communicable messages
Duties will include, but are not be limited to:
• Planning and coordinating installation of Payments network and server infrastructure
• Integrating and connecting new partners (banks, payment processors, and financial institutions) around the world
• Analyzing and improving availability, efficiency, capacity, scalability, security and performance of Payments systems
• Representing Systems Operations while working with internal teams and external partners
• Driving your own projects, from design through planning to execution. Also work with external Technical Project Managers on cross-team initiatives.
• Troubleshooting and resolving problems with production systems as part of the global team's on-call rotation
• Monitoring of production applications, including designing and implementing automated methods to monitor production applications
• Documenting production systems
• Developing and maintaining operations tools
• Mentoring and being a role model for junior engineers
Note: A strong candidate doesn't have to be an expert in all of these areas but must have an excellent grasp of 2-3 key areas and foundation and interest in others.
• Energy and passion to invent and create new solutions, challenge the status quo and drive positive change
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent and 3+ years relevant experience
• Excellent knowledge of Linux/Unix
• Functional programming knowledge (e.g. Python, Ruby, Java).
• Knowledge of computer networks (transport protocols, routing protocols, firewalls, load balancing, VPN solutions, etc.)
• IT Security and data encryption fundamentals
• Experience in deploying and supporting web and/or payments applications in a 24x7 production environment
• Excellent customer service, communication, documentation, work prioritization and analytical skills
• Previous experience in the payments realm, e.g. payment gateways, processors, card issuers, banks, etc.
• Infrastructure security engineering
• Performance tuning (especially web servers, middleware and databases
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Back to top