Have you ever thought about helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? The AWS CDS team is looking for Systems Development Engineers for our offices in Herndon, VA.
In this role, you will experience a wide variety of challenges to support internal and federal customers while developing software to manage the cloud labs and data centers for the AWS air-gapped regions.
You will learn and work within native AWS services while additionally playing with hardware. Every day will look a little different!
In 2013, AWS launched 280 services, but in 2016 alone we released nearly 1000. We hold high standards for our computer systems and the services we deliver to our customers: our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, highly available, all while functioning at massive scale; our employees are passionate about the cloud, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with.
We're looking for true "Dev" and "Ops" people. Some of these people might have come from a traditional "Sys Admin" role, but have a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals and the ability to dive deep into code to find and fix issues, as well as building their own software systems that are more than just scripts. Other candidates could be Software Engineers who have a passion for not just building software, but seeing it all the way through the lifecycle into production, and then owning the day-to-day operations of a deployed system.
On a "typical" day, support engineers might Dive Deep to root cause a customer issue, investigate why a metric is trending the wrong way, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss new approaches to automate operational issues. You'll become a master at AWS Services platform diagnosis, response, measurement, and automation. You will design and build the operational scalability as we grow. You will measure your success and it will be visible.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
We're dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
This position requires that the candidate be able to obtain a current, active US Government Security Clearance of Secret or above. In compliance with the U.S. government requirement that employees of its contractors, and employees who work on or in connection with U.S government contracts must receive the COVID-19 vaccine, this position may require that the candidate selected be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. A person is considered fully vaccinated by completing the full regimen of the COVID-19 vaccine (two doses for Pfizer or Moderna and one dose for Johnson & Johnson).
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
• Bachelor's degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, * Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
• Demonstrated proficiency in Linux, hand on and related debugging
• Proven object-oriented design and implementation skills (Ruby, Java, and/or C++), preferably on Linux
• Good working knowledge/experience on highly distributed virtual environment, networking, s/w build and deployment process
• Strong ownership, urgency, and drive to launch services
• Strong communications skills; you will be required to proactively engage fellow Amazonians both inside and outside of your team
• Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
• Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
• Ability to synthesize requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and facilitate engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines
This position requires that the candidate be able to obtain a current, active US Government Security Clearance of Secret or above
• Masters or PhD in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
• Hands-on experience with a modern programming language such as C, C++, or Java
• Deep understanding of scalable computing systems
• A solid grasp of networking fundamentals, preferably including hands-on experience with load balancers, switches, routers, etc.
• Familiar with the challenges surrounding efficient operations and failure mode analysis in large complex distributed systems
• Experience working in start-up mode building new products and services from the ground up.
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
• Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills, analytical skills, and leadership skills
• Expertise in software processes, web services, multi-tiered systems, workflow modeling, systems testing, and enterprise application integration
• Domain expertise in one or more of the following: security, mobile applications, big data analysis, software testing, user interface design
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us