Systems Development Engineer
- Herndon, VA
We're a company of pioneers. It's our job to make bold bets and we get our energy from inventing on behalf of customers. Success is measured against the possible, not the probable. For today's pioneers, that's exactly why there's no place on Earth they'd rather build than Amazon.
If you like solving hard problems and developing solutions that are highly scalable and high performing, that require minimal long term sustaining and development support, then you may be the pioneer we're looking for! Amazon Operations Technology is looking for a customer focused, detail oriented, experienced Systems Development Engineer to join our Product Integration team. This team is responsible for all global core services and infrastructure within the Operations Technology space. Our systems support over 100,000 Amazonians and hundreds of thousands of IP enabled devices. The position will be based in Nashville, TN.
You'll be part of a world-class team in a fast-paced environment that has the entrepreneurial feel of a start-up. This is an opportunity to operate and engineer systems on a massive scale. You'll be surrounded by people who are wickedly smart and believe that world class service is critical to customer happiness.
This is a technical leadership position. Technicians and engineers worldwide will look to you for mentorship, guidance and solutions to complex problems. Your peers will be systems, network and software engineers working to make the technology that supports our Fulfillment Centers and Transportation sites simple and efficient. In this role you will have the opportunity to design solutions to business problems that are truly unique to Amazon. We value performance, simplicity, and scalability in our designs. In our day-to-day work we focus on automation of complex tasks to allow our business to scale with customer demand.
As a Systems Development Engineer you will work with a wide variety of technologies and projects that range from third party enterprise solutions to open source and proprietary inventions to solve for the business needs. The ability to build productive relationships with colleagues at remote sites around the world will make you successful in this role as will patience and a sense of humor. You can expect to constantly learn new things and expand your knowledge to meet varying business demands. You will occasionally travel to Fulfillment Centers in the US, Asia and Europe.
• Currently in a SW Development environment 15-20 hours a week
• 5+ years of experience with Linux operating systems including operations in a large scale production environment.
• 5+ years' of Systems Engineering/Administration including experience in a large, distributed environment
• Practical scripting and development experience in shell, Perl or Python and/or other automation tools. Ability to write and understand codes at Software Developer level is required.
• Experience with system and application monitoring, software distribution
• Experience with common internet protocols and services including TCP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, HTTP, SSH, TFTP, LPD and LDAP
• Experience building enterprise wide solutions using proprietary systems
• Bachelor's Degree in a technology related field or equivalent professional experience
• Demonstrated time working within a DevOps team
• Experience using Amazon Web Services
• Previous experience managing systems in an industrial environment
• Robust troubleshooting and analytical skills
• A background in Information Security
• Excellent communication, documentation and presentation skills for technical and business audiences
• A degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top