Systems Development Engineer - AWS S3 Fleet Operations
Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) is storage for the Internet. Through the use of pioneering techniques in distributed computing, developers are able to durably store their data on Amazon's proven computing infrastructure to achieve virtually limitless storage capacity at minimal cost. Amazon S3 provides a simple interface that can be used to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web. It gives any developer access to the same highly scalable, reliable, secure, fast, inexpensive infrastructure that Amazon uses to run its own global network of web sites. The service aims to maximize benefits of scale and to pass those benefits on to developers.
We're looking for technology leaders for the largest storage service on the internet. This position is perfect for you if you're interested in creating tools and automation so that engineers can be as hands-off as possible. We want our service to be as autonomous as possible and that can only be done by having bright individuals who understand how to think big, simplify solutions to complex, never before seen problems; all while ensuring that the customer continues to have the best experience possible.
You should be an engineer who is focused on developing internal systems written in Python, Java, C or a similar language. You also have a comfortable understanding of Linux, networking and cloud services. As always, at Amazon you should have a drive to create the best customer experience possible, with the customers being both AWS customers and the other engineers at AWS who will benefit from the automation you create.
Roles within S3 are much more dynamic than a traditional enterprise. Developers equally participate in ops tasks including customer outreach and the on-call rotation while Systems Development Engineers build software and take part in new feature development. We find that this overlap of roles helps to ensure that the engineers who own software can also experience it in production and are motivated to actively maintain it.
- BS/MS Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience.
- 5+ years industry experience programming in at least two of: C, Java, shell, Perl/Python.
- Solid understanding of Linux OS internals and networking protocols such as HTTP, DNS, TLS.
- Have used AWS or similar solutions to drive automation
- Troubleshooting and isolating HW, OS, and SW bugs
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
- Have worked on highly concurrent, high throughput systems with knowledge of distributed systems
- Experience mentoring junior developers
- Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
- Solid understanding of SCSI/SAS/SATA and/or networking protocols
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top