Systems Development Engineer, AWS Redshift
- Seattle, WA
Are you a "Find it, Fix it, Automate it, Never worry about it again" kind of engineer? Are you interested in building hyper-scale database services in the cloud? Do you want to have direct and immediate impact on hundreds of thousands of users who use AWS database services?
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides companies of all sizes with an infrastructure web services platform in the cloud. With AWS, you can requisition compute power, storage, and other services paying as you go for only the resources you need. Amazon Redshift is rapidly growing, fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. It enables customers to dramatically increase their query performance when analyzing virtually any size data set using the same SQL-based business intelligence tools they use today. They can launch a fully operational service with a few clicks for as low as under $1000 per terabyte per year. Amazon Redshift manages all the work needed to set up, operate, and scale a data warehouse, from provisioning capacity and installing software to monitoring and backing up the cluster, to applying patches and upgrades. By automating these labor-intensive tasks, Amazon Redshift enables customers to spend their time focusing on their data and business insights, rather than on procuring and managing infrastructure.
Joining the Amazon Redshift team gives you the opportunity to:
• Work on a disruptive product that's still in its early stages
• Solve challenging problems that will revolutionize database computing in the cloud
• Build a product that will leverage the scale of resources available in the cloud
• Work for a company that's a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
• Be involved in the fast growing, big data space
Amazon Redshift team is looking for experienced DevOps Engineers to build out our automation of critical operational functions that ensures thousands of servers across multiple datacenters worldwide maintain lights on. You will own the design and development of significant and impactful projects to future proof our industries leading datawarehouse service for the cloud. This is a hands on position where you will be asked to do everything from building solutions from the ground up to mentoring other engineers. You need to not only be a top Systems developer with a good track record of delivering, but also excel in communication, leadership and customer focus. A successful candidate will bring deep technical systems, networking and coding expertise and has the ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to deliver a broad business impact. Experience with highly available/fault tolerant systems or operating complex services running in the cloud are all pluses.
In this role, you will have responsibility for:
• Translating functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
• Designing, building and testing complex system components
• Working with other teams to deliver and operate large scale, distributed services in the cloud
• Overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance
• Mentoring other engineers, defining our challenging technical culture, and helping to build a fast-growing team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
• 3-5+ years proficiency in any of Java, Ruby, Python, or other DevOps oriented language
• 3-5+ years of proven operating systems knowledge Linux/Unix
• Knowledge of various software technologies, methodologies and applied software engineering practices/standards such as OOD, SOAP, REST, and AJAX
• Be highly innovative, flexible and self-directed
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Deep experience integrating software solutions, automating manual processes and/or building portals or internal tools
• Write very high quality code that is robust and easy to maintain
• Experience with debugging, diagnosing, and trouble-shooting complex, production software
• Strong understanding of system performance and scaling
• Ability to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
• Experience delivering and operating large scale, highly available distributed systems
For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top