The CloudTrail team builds and manages one of the largest audit logging systems in the world, providing our users visibility into user activity and resources changes in AWS. Our data is a vital part of how AWS customers demonstrate compliance with internal policies or regulatory standards, create event-based workflows and alarming, perform security analysis, and troubleshoot operational issues.
Every single AWS customer has CloudTrail enabled by default, which means we work with nearly every other AWS service and build scalable systems that process massive amounts of data. We have many interesting problems to solve. Customers want us to be broader, deeper, faster, and smarter. In addition to our customers using their data directly, CloudTrail data is also used by AWS services such as Guard Duty and Config, and several external partners.
We are seeking a Systems Development Engineer who is passionate about working on highly scalable systems that processes billions of objects and petabytes of information. You will get the opportunity to develop best practices, refine operational procedures and constantly innovate proactively. You will identify areas of growth within the existing frameworks, tools and processes to develop further technical mechanisms to reduce waste and continuously improve. You will own automation, scaling, and solving operations with software across our platforms. This will include identifying and resolving issues, automating and improving repetitive processes, and working closely with the development team to identify operational needs.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. The CloudTrail team is split between our Seattle and Arlington offices, but this position is based in our Seattle office.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members by building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes we do get to build a really cool service, but we also think a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day.
We're looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we've been building.
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 3+ years of experience in a Software Engineering, DevOps/SysOps, or Systems Engineering capacity in a large-scale software development environment
• 2+ years programming experience with at least one modern language
• 1+ year of experience contributing to automation for new and current systems
• Professional experience building applications with AWS services such as EC2, S3, Lambda, and DynamoDB
• Experience delivering projects in a fast-paced, highly collaborative work environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• A strong understanding of system performance and scaling
• Well-honed troubleshooting skills at various levels of complexity
• Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us