Amazon created one of the most sophisticated supply chains in the world. From the introduction of Amazon Prime, to the use of advanced technology for package delivery, Amazon consistently drives change from the front of the pack.
Amazon is now searching for an innovative and solutions-oriented Systems Development Engineer to be a part of our global initiative of developing and delivering the next generation of world-class fulfillment systems through the use of advanced technology. Successful candidates are natural self-starters who have prior engineering experience in the integrated automation project life cycle, including development, design, implementation, enhancement, and support.
System Development Engineers will be part of a new product/technology development cycle and responsible for successful delivery of units for further testing and evaluation. You will serve as a liaison between Fulfillment Center Operations (our customer) and the product design and development Engineers.
This role will require the ability to build relationships across a cross functional team and capture and synthesize the voice of the customer. Their primary goal is to own the field activities integrating, deploying, and troubleshooting solutions for new advanced technology systems; act as a liaison for internal and external resources and be on call as needed to support downtime events. This position will also provide proper training and support to facility controls technicians on system troubleshooting and preventive maintenance to focus on the system performance improvement and optimization. In parallel with the Product Beta performance ramp, the SDE will work with the RDE team to share lessons learned and best practices that enable product deployment at scale.
As a working leader, you are able to take the lead on the implementation and delivery of complex system designs and advanced technology in ambiguous and complex problem spaces. You integrate systems for safety, security, stability, and efficiency. You participate in the full system development life cycle, working within broadly defined parameters, including test plan execution and solution quality needs.
You must be responsive, flexible, and able to succeed within an open collaborative environment. Amazon's culture encourages innovation and expects engineers to take a high-level of ownership in solving complex problems.
Come help us make history!
• Special knowledge in either software systems or in controls/PLC will be considered.
For software systems specialty:
• 5+ years' experience with the designs of complex, automated material handling equipment, packaging technologies, or systems including robotics and high-speed manufacturing.
• Proficiency using business/technical software like MS Excel, MS Project, or CAD software.
• Proficiency with concepts like system architecture, optimization, system dynamics, system analysis, statistical analysis, reliability analysis, and decision making.
• Design-in-Safety experience
• Experience writing incident follow-up, root cause analysis and documentation
• Experience with capacity planning, utilization review & performance monitoring.
• Experience working technical documentation such as flow diagrams, conveyor and equipment layouts, installation details
• Programming experience with Java, Python, or Ruby
• Strong Unix skills and the ability to script in either Perl, shell, C or C++.
• Operational knowledge of common enterprise switching and routing platforms.
• 5+ years of control system working experience in PLC based controls design, development, implementation and support.
• 5+ years experience with Allen Bradley (A&B) PLC control level issue diagnosis. (Siemens nice to have).
• Demonstrated understanding of life-cycle embedded systems development including hardware (circuit and logic designs, PLCs), software (embedded operating systems and programming), testing and implementation.
• Deep knowledge of Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) and Warehouse Controls Systems (WCS) with respect to large-scale distribution or manufacturing environments.
• Experience in testing and implementing software (embedded operating systems and programming).
• Experience with operating and managing Unix/Linux systems (both embedded and "full scale")
• Fluency with SQL and database design (primarily Oracle and MySQL)
• Experience in technical leadership for large-scale controls engineering projects including work with complex material handling systems and packaging lines
• Demonstrated knowledge of TCIP and industrial networks
Experience with 3-phase electrical systems
• A working combination of both software and controls systems knowledge can substitute for years of experience in either discipline.
• Ability to recognize and implement improvements to the human aspects of systems development, implementation, and use.
• Demonstrated ability to go beyond specialization and combine controls- and software- systems engineering skills to implement new solutions at the organizational or architectural level
• Master's degree in Engineering, Operations, Business Administration, or a related STEM field.
• Operations Management/Distribution Center experience.
• Exposure to Six Sigma, Lean manufacturing efforts, transportation/logistics and/or fulfillment/distribution centers.
• Direct management or responsibility for material handling, automation, or technical projects.
• Proven technical leadership for engineering projects or programs.
• Demonstrated design and/or implementation experience with integrated automation solutions, such as material handling systems, high-speed packaging lines, or manufacturing lines.
• Proven technical leadership for large-scale industrial engineering projects or programs.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.