Systems Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Are you passionate about using automation to impact how AWS scales to meet the demand of all customers? Do you challenge the boundaries of "normal" to find a better way? Do you love using automation to iterate on the latest technology to build things once thought unobtainable or impossible? Do you want to refactor how the world protects information?
AWS Region Services is looking for an experienced Senior Systems Development Engineer to join our growing team that will be
building solutions to complex problems that will scale for Amazon Dedicated Cloud (ADC). ADC's bring AWS cloud solutions to a broad range of customers, countries, or organizations. Successful candidates will be able to grasp complex scenarios, find ways to innovate on behalf of the customer to deliver a uniform experience in all AWS regions, and be experienced with delivering end to end solutions while insisting on the highest standards.
In this role, you have a strong technology background, are detail-oriented, and have excellent troubleshooting, design and coding skills. You have a deep understanding of scalable best practices related to delivering highly available solutions. You will successfully represent customers best interest to use automation and be a force multiplier. You will be passionate about delivering great customer experiences and developing new methodologies. You will have the opportunity to work closely with AWS leadership and a broad range of Service Teams to help facilitate large scale automation for building ADC solutions for global customers.
The ideal candidate will...
Challenge yourself and you teammates. Personal and professional growth is a key component of every day life at Amazon. The right candidate will be willing to take on hard problems and drive innovative automated solutions.
Have excellent communication and documentation skills. Able to communicate design and concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences from interns to directors, through clearly documented coding, writing and verbally.
Have keenness to explore. We are not blatant path followers. The right candidate will be comfortable taking a contrarian view point when it makes sense for our customers.
Be a Proactive thinker. Thinking critically about long term growth and scaling to meet a global demand is key. The right candidate will be willing to thoughtfully consider all aspects of choices and outcomes.
Have patience and determination. Global impact is an iterative process. The right candidate will have an ingrained improvement loop of setting goals based on customer feedback, designing solutions, executing, refining and continuously improving.
AWS System Development Engineers serve a critical role in the the backbone of what we design and create to delight our customers. They work on large-scale system design and help in our operational decision making. They are both hands-on architects and implementers. They have a strong sense of ownership of the overall health and effectiveness of what we build. This is a high visibility and fast-paced environment where you will make a direct impact on the customer experience and the bottom line of the company.
Your responsibilities include:
• Working with business teams to understand customer issues and to investigate, prototype and deliver new and innovative solutions
• Developing solutions to complex problems through improvements to processes or automation.
• Strong debugging and systems analysis skills to be able to identify and quickly resolve/mitigate issues
• Working with Software Developers to manage and grow innovative, production-quality tools to solve real operational problems, in Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.
• Closely coordinating with engineers and product managers across the organization to ensure we are delivering the highest value solutions to meet our customer's needs
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
Have questions, Wish to apply or have a Referral? Contact Kevin Healy directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Master's degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline or 5 + years of non-internship professional software development experience
• 5+ years development experience building scripts, tooling, and automation experience in one or more scripting languages such as Python, Java, Perl, PHP, Ruby, Bash/Shell, Powershell
• 5+ years Hands on Experience with Linux administration or other UNIX variants (Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, Solaris, etc) in a production environment
• 5+ years of experience designing and/or implementing automated software testing, deployment, and performance analysis systems
• 5+ year of experience specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools
• 1+ years of experience with standard Internet protocols and networking fundamentals (Ethernet, ARP, TCP/IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
• 1+ years of experience with AWS or similar massive-scaled distributed systems
• Experience mentoring, coaching and developing junior engineers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top