Systems Development Engineer
- Herndon, VA
Have you ever thought about helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies?
Amazon Route 53 is a highly available and scalable Domain Name System (DNS) service offered by Amazon Web Services. We operate in over 50 locations worldwide and provide advanced functionality such as latency-based routing (LBR), Private DNS, Geo DNS routing, DNS failover, and integration with a plethora of AWS services. On top of that, we offer fast change propagation with a 100% availability SLA. Our service is quickly growing and we're expanding in multiple directions: adding new features and functionality to our DNS services, better traffic management, new AWS integrations, improving our health check capabilities, and expanding with new services in the naming and routing space.
On a "typical" day, systems development engineers will use metrics to drive operational improvements, build and implement the latest technologies to reduce operational issues, and contribute to the overall health of Route 53.
Successful candidates will join an elite engineering team, provide troubleshooting and operations support, and innovate to replace routine operational tasks with automation scripts and code.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph
This job can be located in EITHER Crystal City, VA or Herndon, VA.
• 2+ years experience running and maintaining a 24x7 production environment
• 2+ years of experience working with Linux/Unix systems
• 2+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, C#, Python, or Ruby including object-oriented design
• Current active US Government Security Clearance at the Top Secret level or above.
• Experience with system architecture and design
• Experience working on systems at scale
• Experience with continuous integration/continuous deployment methodologies
• Ability to perform deep, technical troubleshooting
• Expert level documentation skills
• Expert level knowledge of networking technologies
• Associate or Bachelor's degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
• Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top