Do you want to help deliver a product that is used by millions of customers every day? Are you passionate about operating highly available and large-scale distributed systems?
If the answer is yes, the Elastic Load Balancing (ELB) team wants to talk with you. ELB is a disruptive new service that offers customers incredibly scalable and robust load balancing technology.
The Elastic Load Balancing group within Amazon Web Services is looking for a Systems Development Engineer who will help us deliver the next generation of industry leading load balancer service architected for the cloud.
Why should you join the Amazon ELB team?
• We ship software frequently, get fast feedback from real customers around the globe, and see the results of our work come to fruition. The Amazon ELB service is deployed globally to 11 regions today and continues to see excellent growth.
• There are real-world problems to solve that you won't find ready-made answers for. For example, how do you ensure customers can scale their application quickly to handle traffic spikes and then back down in a matter of minutes? How do you provide a load balancing solution that allows customers to build fault tolerant solutions using Amazon EC2? How do you ensure customers can implement rules for their traffic to be routed to specific applications?
• We are now designing and building the next generation of ELB systems capable of handling terabytes of data per day, and growing from there. This is a unique opportunity to help build large-scale systems from the ground up.
• We are building and operating one of the biggest cloud installation in the world and you could be part of it.
If this sounds great and you are up to the challenge, we'd love to hear from you. Amazon Web Services is changing the world, and this is a great opportunity to be a part of this exciting business.
For more information, visit the Amazon ELB detail page: http://aws.amazon.com/elasticloadbalancing
Inclusive Team Culture
Our team is diverse! We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 2+ years experience building scripts, tooling, and automation for large-scale computing environments.
• 3+ years experience with Linux, *NIX or Windows system administration.
• Excellent troubleshooting skills.
• Experience developing code in at least one high-level programming language.
• Knowledge of modern Internet networking architecture and protocols.
• Ability to excel in a fast-paced, startup-like environment.
• 3+ years experience building scripts, tooling, and automation to support large scale computing environments
• Experience in design and implementation of automation framework to manage large scale applications and distributed systems.
• Experience using Amazon AWS services.
• 3+ years experience with at least one of these programming languages; Python, Ruby/Rails, Perl, C/C++, and/or Java experience
• BS Computer Science or other technical degree and related experience
• Experience with tcpdump, wireshark, or other protocol analyzers
• Experience using Netscaler, HAProxy, Zeus, Nginx, or other load balancing technologies
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.