Systems Development Engineer
- Herndon, VA
Are you interested in building the next generation, cloud-based commerce system for AWS? Would you like to be part of a systems development engineering team supporting the automation and operations of AWS services used by the US intelligence community? AWS Commerce Platform (CP) allows customers to purchase AWS services. CP teams tackle some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in the world, processing trillions of events per month.
This role is an excellent opportunity to join the AWS CP team based in Herndon, Virginia. You'll be working with passionate software engineers and technical managers. We are an innovative group whose solutions sit at the nexus of CP functionality and AWS customers. Specifically, we are responsible for building and operating services that enable the CP stack to function in AWS regions disconnected from the rest of AWS. Disconnected regions create a number of challenging engineering problems and often require us to collaborate with other engineering teams to create solutions. We take great pride in supporting the mission of our AWS customers
• Develop your skills and advance your career at one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
• Solve big problems with the possibility externalizing them to customers.
• Collaborate with a diverse set of partner engineering teams based in Vancouver, Seattle, NYC, Berlin, and Bangalore.
What You'll Do?
• Provide our customers with a great experience.
• Drive engineering effort, implementation, and deployments that meet functional, performance, scalability, and reliability requirements while adhering to software development principles and best practices.
• Work closely with team members to architect and develop the best technical designs and approaches.
• Foster a culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics.
• Learn AWS system architecture and be responsible for diving deep into code.
• Own all operational metrics and support for your software.
• Evangelize operational excellence by leading operation reviews, documenting best practices, and prioritizing automation and infrastructure as code initiatives.
• Distill and communicate technical concepts to the team and other stakeholders.
You have experience with application development, dev/ops, and operating technical infrastructure. You are an Agile methodology practitioner. You enjoy keeping your technical skills current and relish contributing to architecture and design discussions. You regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises to identify the root cause of complex issues.
You are detail oriented, have superior verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, able to work independently and can maintain professionalism under pressure. You must be able to identify problems before they happen and implement solutions that detect and prevent outages. You make sound judgments, work to improve the customer experience, and get the right things done.
You are a clear communicator and and can collaborate with team members to plan, prioritize, and implement dev/ops tooling and automation.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or four years of equivalent experience.
• 2+ years of experience in Systems Administration, Network .Administration, DevOps, or Site Reliability Engineering.
• 2+ years of experience with focus in areas such as systems, network, and/or application security.
• 2+ years of experience with web protocols and Linux/Unix tools and architecture.
• 2+ years of experience building automated tools in Python, Java and/or Ruby.
• Experience with agile software development practices..
• Current, active US government TS/SCI security clearance.
• 5+ years of software development experience.
• Comfortable working with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
• Ability to take a project from requirements analysis through to launch and operation of the system in production.
• Experience building high-volume, highly available systems and operating 24x7 services.
• Experience with distributed systems, consistent hashing, distributed locking, replication, and load balancing.
• Working knowledge of relational and NoSQL databases.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top