The AWS Core Service Automation team is looking for an experienced manager to lead a team of System Development Engineers with a strong background building critical infrastructure services such as Windows operating system update deployments and security tools management. We are using AWS products to create the next generation of these services. If you are passionate about AWS and have experience building or automating large-scale infrastructure services, keep reading.
You and your team will work with internal Amazon service owners and AWS product teams to develop new services and solutions. Your goal will be to give enterprise IT customers more control over their environments. You will influence AWS product roadmaps and build new solutions as needed to raise the bar for security, automation, and operational excellence for Amazon's corporate infrastructure.
In this role, you will build the tools and services that move our core network services in to the infrastructure-as-code age, enable self-healing for our systems, and provide capabilities that enable other Amazon service owners to do the same. You will use AWS products, good software engineering practices, and mature CICD processes to build the next generation of infrastructure services and management tools.
We are looking for a motivated leader to inspire a team of Software Development Engineers (SDE) and System Development Engineers (SysDE) to deliver innovative solutions for our customers. This is a hands-on position where your daily activities will range from strategic planning, to new system development, to supporting the customers that depend on your services. You will deliver consistent, well-defined results in an agile development workflow. To succeed in this role, you will deliver on-time results that delight your customers while inspiring your team to think big about their work. If this sounds like a fit, we would love to speak with you.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Lead automation efforts for a team advancing a service ownership culture
• Embrace the AWS ecosystem and use good DevOps practices to drive innovation on top of it
• Instill a culture that holds a high quality bar with code reviews, drive automation efforts to empower our customers, and remove barriers for your team
• Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
• Hands-on leadership for your team; working with your peers to guide the day-to-day development activities, leading architecture decisions, participating in designs reviews, code reviews, and security reviews
• Build mission-critical services that can scale across six continents for hundreds of thousands of Amazonians worldwide
• Deliver quality features on-time and on-budget, and execution against project plans and delivery commitments.
• Maintain current technical knowledge of rapidly changing technology, always on the lookout for new technologies, and work with organizational leadership and partner teams to evolve current processes.
In joining our team, you'll enjoy a competitive salary, great benefits, a creative and comfortable work environment, and the exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced and growing technology company.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, or five or more years of work experience in software development as an equivalent.
• Five or more years of people management experience leading software development teams.
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field.
• Seven or more years of work experience in software development, including four or more years as a people manager.
• A proven track record of leading a team to deliver complex, scalable, fault-tolerant systems successfully.
• Experience with infrastructure management and deployment automation would be plus.
• The ability to drive major projects across teams and within a team.
• Demonstrated success working across organizational boundaries, bringing together people with diverse perspectives and experience to find solutions.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• A track record of hiring and retaining great developers.
• Experience owning and managing Windows Server fleets for a large enterprise.
• Previous experience leading DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) teams.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us