System Development Engineer, Managed Edge Compute
- Nashville, TN
The Infrastructure Engineering Edge Compute team is looking for System Development Engineers with experience in automation, scripting, programming, and infrastructure who can use these skills to manage tens of thousands of edge compute devices and servers. We are building the next generation of the Amazon managed edge compute platform based on Linux and AWS services. We provide a predictable operating environment and consulting to software teams allowing them to focus on application improvements and innovations rather than platform maintenance. You should have a customer-centric focus and be comfortable taking initiative.
We value performance, simplicity and scalability in our designs. In our day-to-day work we automate traditional system engineering tasks; allowing us to focus on solving larger problems. As a team we actively brainstorm, analyze and discuss solutions to hard problems. As a System Development Engineer on this team, you will collaborate with other experienced Software and System Engineers to drive improvements to our technology, operate, design and maintain services and software solutions, and build and track metrics to ensure exceptional results. Your solutions will provide the ultimate customer experience for the devices, tools, and services the team builds. You will have the opportunity to work with business partners, leadership and other engineers, influence and drive products, and lead the design of systems. At Amazon, we are known for our customer obsession. We need your creativity, abilities, and initiative to innovate and produce results as we continuously improve the customer experience.
As a System Development Engineer working on the Edge Compute team you will:
• Participate in the original creation and implementation of new functionality that helps operate our services.
• Ensure that all systems are designed to be robust, scalable, maintainable and adaptable as the service scales and evolves over time.
• Work in an environment where operational excellence is required and the automation of every manual process is imperative.
• Build automation to report the status of products and devices that integrates with other Amazon systems such as trouble ticketing and metrics platforms.
• Provide critical operations support and incident response for the team's tools and services.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
• 5+ years coding in Java, Ruby, Python, Golang, or other DevOps oriented languages
• Knowledge of OS distribution and release management fundamentals
• Knowledge of Linux System Administration
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for full software development life cycle, including: coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, methodology, testing, and operations
• Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
• Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability
• Eager to learn, and enjoy a fast-paced environment
• Driven to provide the best customer experience via technology
• Vendor management experience
• Ability to drive innovation
• Experience using Amazon Web Services
• Python application development experience
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience designing and building RESTful web services
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top