Come and build solutions that enable digital transformation through connected devices!
The Internet of Things (IoT) refers to a system of physical devices - Alexa smart home devices, autonomous vehicles, smart manufacturing, self-monitoring medical devices, precision agriculture, sensor grids and more - that connect to the Internet. In the near future we will see billions of things that will be connected at a given time!
AWS Internet of Things (IoT) Analytics Services is a relatively new organization delivering higher-order IoT services to help customers integrate the benefits of IoT quickly, easily and cost effectively. We are focused on solving problems with data from connected devices. If you are fascinated by the endless possibilities unlocked when the power of cloud and ubiquitous connected devices are combined, we have the right role for you.
We are looking for an innovative, self-directed System Development Engineer to join or energetic, fast-moving, and passionate team. We have high standards for our comupter systems as well as our employees. Our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, highly available, and must function at a massive scale. Our employees are msart, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with. Your responsibilities will include:
• Working on automation efforts built on the AWS ecosystem
• Instill a culture that drives DevOps, holds a high-quality bar with code reviews, drives automation efforts to empower and remove barriers for your team
• Working with others on the engineering team, participating in designs, design reviews, and implementation
Building a High-Performing & Inclusive Team Culture
You should be passionate about attracting & developing a world-class team that welcomes, celebrates, and leverages a diverse set of backgrounds and skillsets to deliver results. Driving results through others is your primary responsibility, and doing so in a way that builds on our inclusive culture is key to our long term success.
We value work-life balance. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 5pm. We are builder-operators of our services at AWS and have a modest on-call rotation where you'll participate approximately once every 2 months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice. This is incredibly important to us because a stable operational load is indicative of high service reliability for our customers.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We're committed to the growth and development of every member of IoT. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the culture and direction of the entire IoT org and deliver site-wide initiatives that will improve the life of all of our teams.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
IoT is a growth environment - we're hiring and scaling rapidly to meet the needs of our customers. If you are excited to take on new, ambiguous projects with multi-industry impact, please reach out!
• A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, or experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree based on Five or more years of work experience
• Three or more years of professional experience as a systems development engineer or in related occupations (systems administration, DevOps engineering, site reliability engineering, networking/automation, software/systems development)
• An understanding of computer science fundamentals in algorithms and data structures
• An understanding of computer networking fundamentals
• A Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
• Experience building and operating large-scale, highly available distributed systems or web services with a high degree of operational excellence
• A strong understanding of system performance and scaling
• Well-honed troubleshooting skills at various levels of complexity
• A strong understanding of operating system internals, including network and storage subsystems
• Experience developing on Linux
• Experience using AWS services
• Experience delivering projects in a fast-paced, highly collaborative work environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us