System Development Engineer II
- Minneapolis, MN
Amazon is looking for Systems Development Engineers to build and scale the systems and software for the security of the world's largest and most complex networks. Tens of millions of customers rely on Amazon's network for using retail websites, accessing content on their Kindles and building applications and businesses on top of Amazon Web Services (AWS). AWS goal is to become The Infrastructure Platform for the world achieving this goal requires security at every layer and massively scalable software systems. The engineers within our team are instrumental in to help drive the stability and sustainability of AWS next-generation networks and to discover innovative ways to automate and scale network as AWS expands globally. This position is located in Minneapolis, MN.
Systems Development Engineers are expected to develop best practices, refine operational procedures and constantly innovate proactively. You will continuously identify areas of growth within the existing frameworks, tools and processes to develop further technical mechanisms to reduce waste and continuously improve. Our ideal candidate is autonomous, detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills and has experience working at scale. Systems Development Engineers work hand-in-hand with service teams to invent new ways of operating Amazon's Next-Generation Network while never losing sight of the high security bar our customers demand.
This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
• Solving problems at scale excites you.
• You are interested in being part of a high-bar team with global responsibility for the Network Security software used across all of Amazon's businesses.
• You do not implement specs from analysts and architects you talk to customers and design solutions to their problems. You automate and innovate.
• You believe that the craft of software engineering is about writing code right the first time. For you, code reviews and automated testing are not chores they are a core part of writing great software.
• You do not throw your code over the wall. You launch it, own it, support it and make it incrementally better for the benefit of customers.
• You enjoy working in a flexible, fast-paced, collaborative team environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science with 3+ years of experience in a Software Engineering, DevOps, or Systems Engineering capacity.
• Experience in automation via scripting and configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt, CloudFormation, Terraform)
• Bash experience plus knowledge of at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, Ruby)
• Proficient at designing software systems - from high-availability large-scale distributed systems to bespoke scripted solutions.
• Demonstrated UNIX (preferably Linux) systems engineering skills.
• Understanding and demonstrated experience working with core internet technologies (e.g. TCP/IP).
• 6+ years of hands on work experience in Software Engineering, Dev Opps, and/or Systems Development
• Strong Linux experience from provisioning to performance tuning, and a solid grasp on operating system fundamentals.
• A Graduate degree or Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• Understanding of data structures, algorithms and their performance.
• Working knowledge of AAA systems
• Record of mentoring other engineers to maintain architectural vision and software quality.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Back to top