System Development Engineer II
- Seattle, WA
AWS is looking for a strong System Development Engineer to join our team. We build and manage highly-scalable authentication services with operational precision, and focus on the hard problems so customers can focus on their business.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
We're looking for a system development engineer to own automating operational and business practices. This will include identifying and resolving issues, automating and improving repetitive processes, and working closely with the development team. You will become intimate with the architecture of our systems and be responsible for diving deep into code, and developing solutions for our customers and services. You'll drive prioritization of operational issues, and drive automation design & scaling requirements in support of the wider organization.
As a System Development Engineer you will work with a wide variety of technologies and projects that range from third party enterprise solutions to open source and proprietary inventions to solve for the business needs. The ability to build productive relationships with colleagues at other teams will make you successful in this role as will patience and a sense of humor. You can expect to constantly learn new things and expand your knowledge to meet varying business demands.
Primary responsibilities include troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing operational issues, developing monitoring solutions, performing infrastructure maintenance and configuration, updating, tracking and resolving technical challenges. Responsibilities also include working alongside development, updating/enhancing our current software, automation of support processes and documentation of our systems.
In this role you will contribute to a critical and highly visible software infrastructure team within the AWS. You will work with Senior and Principal Engineers and have the opportunity to hire and shape the team to best execute on the product. If want to work in a deeply technical space and excited about huge impact, this role is engaging, challenging, and full of opportunities to learn and grow.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 3 years' experience in a large-scale software development environment.
• Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues.
• A history of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in a dynamic environment.
• Should be genuinely excited about technology, have a strong interest in learning about and playing with the latest technologies.
• Must be a self-starter and motivated.
• Ability to work in a diverse team environment.
• BS Computer Science, other technical degree, or equivalent experience
• Experience in Systems and Infrastructure Administration, DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering
• Experience designing and/or implementing automated software testing, deployment and performance analysis systems
• Experience conducting failure mode analysis in complex distributed systems
• Experience creating, reviewing, and refining design and architecture documents presented by partner teams for operational readiness, fault tolerance and scalability
• Experience developing or furthering existing application and system management tools and processes that reduce manual efforts and increase overall efficiency
• Ability to adapt and improve operations management systems and processes to accommodate rapid and increasing growth in systems and traffic
• Experience with service-oriented architecture and web services
• Experience with agile software development practices
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top