Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a best-in-class Systems Development Engineer for the Elastic Compute (EC2) development team in Seattle. This team is responsible for the Linux based operating system optimized for the EC2 Nitro platform and other data plane applications supporting the worlds largest cloud infrastructure.
You should be an engineer focused on developing internal services written in Python, Rust, or a similar language. You have a comfortable understanding of Linux, networking and operating services at scale. You have a track record of creating the best possible experience for internal and external customers as well as other developers at AWS who will benefit from the automation you create.
You will be part of a small team creating tools and systems that automate development experience, testing reliability and quality, deployments, and operational processes. You will work closely with firmware and silicon engineering teams to manage day-to-day development activities, participate in architecture decisions, designs, implementation, code reviews and deployment.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills and efficient interaction with peers is required, as well as experience initiating, driving and managing in-event conference calls. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential. In addition to providing top-tier management and support of Amazon's vast cloud infrastructure, Systems Development Engineers are expected to develop best practices, refine operational procedures and constantly think pro-actively and with innovation.
This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
• Automate development, build, test, deployment and operational tasks through creation and maintenance of tools.
• Deliver simple, sustainable and repeatable solutions and processes.
• Work closely with development teams to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products.
• Drive standards and best practices across the organization to continuously improve development time, product quality and operational excellence.
• Create and review documentation and process regarding recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
• Mentor more junior staff in network automation, including involvement in the formulation of a structured training plan.
• Participation in entry level interviewing.
Our team is diverse! We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
We puts a high value on work-life balance. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
• Experience in at least one modern programming language such as Rust, Python, Lua.
• Able to work in a diverse team
• Fundamentals in problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Internet and operating system security fundamentals.
• Technically sound in software development activities and life cycles.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience designing software/systems operating at scale.
• C programming experience
• Knowledge of Linux kernel, drivers
• Experience with embedded systems, board bring up, and interacting with hardware devices.
• Strong analytic and problem solving skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/internal/disability/us.