Amazon Route 53 DNS data plane team is hiring! Amazon Route 53 is a highly available and scalable Domain Name System (DNS) service offered by Amazon Web Services. We operate in over 50 locations worldwide and provide advanced functionality such as latency-based routing (LBR), Private DNS, Geo DNS routing, DNS failover, and integration with Amazon CloudFront, Amazon S3, and Amazon Elastic Load Balancing.
Route 53 DNS Data plane is a highly available AWS service which is designed to give developers and businesses an extremely reliable and cost effective way to route end users to Internet applications. We are building the next generation data plane service that will be even more resilient to external threats focusing on improving the routing and system performance. You will have an enormous opportunity to impact the customer experience, design, architecture, and implementation of cutting-edge products that will be used every day by people you know.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, our entire team is co-located in the Seattle office, but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. We generally keep core in-office hours from 10 am to 5 pm.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We are building a new System Engineering team providing you opportunity to learn and grow your career. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
In the first six to twelve months on the job you'll tackle these exciting challenges:
• Through participation in all phases of the development of a large , provide hardware, manageability, operability and performance perspectives on all aspects of Route 53 and their dependencies
• Define and/or refine hardware requirements and selected designs, balancing raw up-front dollar cost with operability and TCO, from the data center infrastructure up specify and participate in the development and delivery of operability-related features such as health monitoring, diagnostics, repair, and other self-healing automation
• Develop or further existing automation and management tools and processes that reduce manual efforts and increase overall efficiency
• Adapt and improve operations management systems and processes to accommodate rapid and increasing growth in systems and traffic
• Participate in the and execution of production acceptance tests and new hardware evaluations
• Maintain fleet inventory management, including producing, maintaining, and evolving capacity plans for various components.
• Monitor the health of the fleet, automating health, maintenance tasks, and reporting systems as needed
• Perform various system maintenance tasks including configuration of new edge locations down to the machine level
• Manage directly assigned tasks and on-call duties with professionalism
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
• 3+ years of non-internship professional system engineering experience
• 2+ years of experience with common scripting or programming languages such as Python, BASH, or Perl
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• 6+ years of hands on work experience in Software Engineering, Dev Ops, and/or Systems Development.
• Strong Linux experience from provisioning to performance tuning, and a solid grasp on operating system fundamentals.
• Knowledge of professional system engineering practices & best practices for the full application life cycle, including system standards, system audit & reviews, configuration management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Strong IP networking fundamentals and experience with the application of IP protocols
• Proficiency with multiple programming/scripting languages
• Ability to take a project from business requirements through to actual launch of the project
• Strong distributed systems and web services design and implementation experience
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.