Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
Amazon is seeking a Linux/Unix Systems Administrator/Engineer with the ability to automate day to day tasks and develop/build software and/or services from the ground up. A good candidate must have strong Linux/Unix Systems Administration knowledge, including shell scripting, and a proficiency in at least one development language. They must be able to think at "Amazon scale" to solve problems in permanent, sustainable, and scalable ways. With an eye toward utilizing the best solution over the quickest solution.
At Amazon scale, Network Engineers rely on an ever increasing number of tools to manage thousands of network devices that support AWS services. Our Systems Team manages the hundreds of tools/services and components that the Network Engineers rely on to keep the network operational. This includes systems that track loss and incident correlation, scaling and building of new and existing network devices, and a full suite of monitoring tools. Many of these tools provided integrations with one another to give a broad to in depth view of the status of the network and aid in troubleshooting.
The Systems Development Engineers on the team are responsible for maintaining the network tools/systems described above within US GovCloud and other US Government air gapped regions. This includes troubleshooting problems with systems and services, regular deployment of new versions of the systems and their subcomponents, deployment/system validation and testing, service monitoring, standing up new services/tools, etc. The team works with many different internal Software Development teams to drive improvement of the systems/services within the team's scope. It is important to be able to work collaboratively and independently to investigate and document issues and create solutions to solve them at scale.
• Calmly and quickly diagnose and fix critical systems failures in high pressure situations?
• Manage and grow innovative, production-quality tools to solve real operational problems, in Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.?
• Investigate complicated technical issues scientifically and thoroughly, and assist in fixing them so they don't come back?
• Understand how a modern, cloud-hosted application stack works from top to bottom?
• Know how to provide technical solutions to real business problems in a global organization?
If you're a customer-focused System/DevOps Engineer who would like to contribute to a critical success story, we would love to hear from you! Over a million customers rely on Amazon Web Services (AWS) network for building and running their applications and businesses. Our customers success depends on our world-class network infrastructure, and our network depends on our systems team! Physical requirements:
• Must be able to work in a 24x7 team on call rotation, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs.
• The ability to sit in front of computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
• Travel to data center/systems sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
• Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance at the Top Secret level .
• 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
• Programming experience with at least one modern language such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Golang, PowerShell, Ruby
• 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
• 5+ years experience with systems software and systems architecture.
• In depth knowledge & experience of Linux or other Unix operating systems.
• Proficiency in scripting/programming with one or more of Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.
• Self driven, detail oriented, excellent analytical skills, a strong team player who works well with immediate and extended team, and consistently puts the team above oneself.
• Ability to work well under pressure with minimal supervision, and keep up with a fast moving environment via effective prioritization and time management.
• Strong desire to build, ability to multitask, sense of ownership and urgency. - Experience with Agile development methodologies and DevOps environments.
• Internet and operating system security fundamentals.
• Knowledge of system performance methodologies along with hands on empirical monitoring.
• In depth knowledge of TCP/IP networking, architecture and core technologies.
• Excellent knowledge of server hardware and software troubleshooting.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us. For more information on Amazon Web Services, please visit http://aws.amazon.com. If you're interested in learning more about this role and others that are similar, please join AWS recruiters at our next virtual open house: https://app.brazenconnect.com/a/AWS/s/4LoBX/next?utm_medium=Career+Sites&utm_source=External+Postings