System Development Engineer
- Arlington, VA
Who We Are
Amazon.com has been rated one of the most admired company in the US, #1 in Innovation and # 1 in Customer Service. Additionally, Amazon's technology business has a history and growing tradition of leading the world in Web-related technologies and services. Now, with Amazon Web Services (AWS), you have the opportunity to help individuals and businesses take their computing infrastructure and applications into the Cloud. AWS has gained a reputation for innovation with a fast pace release cycle delivering hundreds of features a year, and AWS Support is one of the largest and fastest growing AWS business units.
Don't be confused by the name. We are a highly technical, innovative organization revolutionizing the way customers engage and seek help from AWS. Our customers include very large Enterprises (e.g. NASDAQ, Adobe, Kellogg's, Unilever); Public Sector (e.g. NASA JPL, Stanford) as well as fast growing businesses and internet companies (e.g. Netflix, Airbnb). We will redefine the word "support" and lead the industry with best in class technology. The AWS Support organization is global with team members in 20 locations around the world. The organization is a self-standing business with revenue and P&L responsibility.
Who We Need
We are looking for a smart, enthusiastic, and creative engineers with a solid background in solving hard problems that span the software development, systems engineering and systems security disciplines. As a member of the DevOps team, you will be charged with adapting, scaling and operating all of the software use to run the AWS support business. You will be a member of a team of highly motivated and talented team of systems developers and systems engineers helping to shape the future of Support technologies both within isolated AWS regions and in the AWS public regions.
Diving deeper into the role, on a day to day basis you will be working with services like Trusted Advisor and the Support Case Management System to adapt their software to the unique challenge of operation in isolation. You will lead the ground up installation of major software systems, troubleshoot hard problems using the skills of a Linux expert and automate everything you can find. You will work on developing the team's own tools to enable you to scale as new isolated regions are added. You will also build relationships with the commercial software development teams to ensure a seamless customer experience across all regions.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
If you share our obsession for customers and ensuring that AWS exceeds their expectation on every interaction. If you have a passion for leading the design decisions that making an organization as large as AWS support successful at scale. If you want to touch the lives of hundreds of thousands of support customers worldwide, shaping their personal experience with AWS. This is the job for you!
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Minimum of 3 years' experience scripting in at least one interpreted language (e.g. Perl/Python/Ruby) as well as shell
• Minimum of 3 years' experience in a large-scale software development environment
• Minimum of 3 years' Experience in Agile/Scrum or related collaborative workflow
• Minimum of 3 years' experience with distributed operational health and performance monitoring systems
• Minimum of 3 years' experience in Linux operating system configuration and networking
• A degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field or at 5 years' relevant experience in a large-scale technical environment
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance at the Top Secret level
• Proficiency in Java, C/C++/C# or another high-level programming language
• Experience building with AWS technologies
• Experience with database systems administration, query optimization, and storage systems
• Experience with UI development and building innovative user experiences.
• Experience in developing systems architecture
• Deep experience integrating software solutions, automating manual processes and/or building portals or internal tools
• Experience designing and/or implementing automated software testing, deployment and performance analysis systems
• Strong understanding of system and application performance characteristics
• Experience specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through launch and operations of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Experience reviewing and refining design and architecture documents presented by partner teams for operational readiness, fault tolerance and scalability
• Experience driving collaborative projects from conception to delivery
• Effective organizational skills to maintain a consistently high standard of operations in a busy environment
• Ability to communicate effectively in an international environment
• Understanding of industry technology (analytics, monitoring, code deployment, system scalability, load balancers, web servers)
• Excellent troubleshooting skills and a commitment to document findings
• Knowledge of various software technologies, methodologies and applied software engineering practices/standards such as OOD, SOAP, REST, Spring and AJAX
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.
Back to top