System Development Engineer
- Portland, OR
Do you want to build the most reliable and secure systems that impact 197 million Amazon customers? Consumer Engagement Engineering Excellence (CE3) is hiring a System Development Engineer to automate operational maintenance, and build efficiency into systems that support the Amazon Customer Shopping Experience. We build new technology with AWS services and change existing code to improve security, availability, and performance. We need strong, innovative System Development Engineer to help with operational maintenance of services build over cloud computing technologies (SQS, QLDB, S3, EMR, DynamoDB, EKS and Lambda) and responsible for the secure, scalable world class cash reconciliation platform. These services processes and reconciles statements worth over US $250Bn every year. Targeted towards cash accounting users, the system aims to simplify and expedite the cash reconciliation process at Amazon. The system needs to perform a holistic automated reconciliation of all banking activity (receipts, disbursements, inter-company wires, bank fees, etc.) at scale, by systematically performing all the manual tasks that are performed by accountants and analysts on a daily basis.
The complexity and scale of our services requires a Systems Development Engineer who is interested in working on large scale, highly distributed systems and who can bring new ideas with the confidence to put them to the test as we change the transmission on the rapidly moving bus that is Amazon. We are looking to build a cohesive, team-oriented group of engineers with someone who shares a passion for developing great software and has the desire to take their technical career to the next level. If you like solving complex problems, in a challenging environment, we would love to talk with you.
As a SysDE engineer in this team you engage in the entire lifecycle of software development from ideation to operating predictably at scale. You will identify and build software improvements for scalability, performance, and overall customer experience for running the service at scale. You will collaborate with architects and software engineers to deliver a highly available and automated infrastructure that works to the best of its ability.
As a member of the CE3 group you will work with some of the most experienced and distinguished engineers in Amazon. You will get a chance to dive deep into recurring problems of scale and build solutions that will solve the scaling problems before they occur.
You will own preparing, strategizing, executing and tracking all high velocity events and peak preparations for all Tier-1 teams in your org. You will get to work on the latest Amazon/ AWS tools and will drive adoption of best techniques and procedures to identify problems before they occur. You will influence developers building large scale feature and functionality and will participate in architectural reviews of partner teams. You will be considered a tech SME for everything related to scale and running production services efficiently. You are excited about building solutions to scale that have a very wide adoption. You take a long-term view of your partner team software and identify pit-falls, architecture flaws that have a potential to blow up in future. You are able to think about business opportunities, costs saved on operating fleets and are able to bring down the ownership of the production fleet. You are able to maintain and review Amazon-quality code in Python, Java or any other programming language. You understand data analysis, can drive automations, build dashboards and other projects that contribute to the safety and ease of operating a service in production. This is a hybrid operations/ developer role with an emphasis on solid design and coding skills.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be
• Passionate about solving complex problems with creative solutions.
• Excited about delivering a reliable, scalable, and performant infrastructure for a large scale system.
• Highly motivated, smart, independent, and problem solver who thrives in a fast-paced, bottoms-up environment.
• Able to own deployment, reliability, availability and performance of operating service.
• Able to Increase efficiencies through software improvement, automation, service delivery, maturity, and scalability.
• • Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience
• Minimum of 2 years experience working with Linux operating system development
• Minimum of 2 year software development experience in a combination of any of the following languages: C++, Java, C#, Python or Ruby
• PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• • Advanced degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline
• 5+ years of software development experience.
• Comfortable working with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly.
• Ability to take a project from requirements analysis through to launch and operation of the system in production.
• Experience building high-volume, highly available systems and operating 24x7
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top