System Development Engineer
We need creative, collaborative developers who want to challenge themselves on a fast-moving, diverse devops team who are driving change and rapidly delivering customer value in a huge problem space at a scale that far exceeds most companies on the planet. We build both fast, highly available services and clean, easy-to-use web interfaces, and we operate what we build. Come join us and work on products that makes reliable software change possible at a massive scale.
We are looking for an experienced Systems Development Engineer with deep expertise in designing and supporting enterprise-scale infrastructure. You will be responsible for the design, implementation and quality of services you deliver.
As a Systems Development Engineer, you will be a member of a team responsible for supporting a complex, highly distributed global network and developing tools to enable our team to resolve issues efficiently. Additionally, you will focus on the automation of repeatable tasks with the ultimate goal of developing self-healing solutions. The solutions developed with your team will help scale out the technical support to keep pace with Amazon's explosive growth.
How do we do that? Through super smart, dedicated engineers and builders in both our development and operations teams.
This role will be working in a very hands-on, operations-focused team, but has the scope for first-class development and engineering of tools to support a massive product. Our mission is not to manually solve issues, but to write the automation to manage issues or, better yet, dive deep into the code and fix the root cause.
Candidates for this role must have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (or related field), or the equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree, based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education.
- 3+ years professional experience in software development.
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design.
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures.
- Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as C++, Java or Ruby.
- Experience developing software in Java
- Experience with Amazon EC2, S3, DynamoDB and RDS
- Experience with DevOps tools, processes and culture
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and a proven documentation methodology
- Experience troubleshooting, configuring and patching the Linux kernel
- Fundamental Computer Science knowledge, including experience in applying common algorithms, data structures and design patterns
- Experience with diagnosing and troubleshooting server hardware issues
- Experience building REST-ful services using Python (Flask), Ruby (Rails)
- Experience in production monitoring and metrics reporting
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well with people and be both highly motivated and motivating
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top