System Dev Engineer II
The AWS Identity team is looking for a strong Systems Development Engineer to join our Operations team.
Amazon has a fast-paced environment where we "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History." On a "typical" day, systems engineers might deep dive to root cause a customer issue, investigate why a metric is trending the wrong way, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss radical new approaches to automate operational issues.
As a Systems Development Engineer you will work with a wide variety of technologies and projects that range from third party enterprise solutions to open source and proprietary inventions to solve for the business needs. The ability to build productive relationships with colleagues at remote sites around the world will make you successful in this role as will patience and a sense of humor. You can expect to constantly learn new things and expand your knowledge to meet varying business demands.
Primary responsibilities include troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing production issues, developing monitoring solutions, performing software maintenance and configuration, implementing the fix for internally developed code (in Java, Ruby, Perl or C++), performing SQL queries, updating, tracking and resolving technical challenges. Responsibilities also include working alongside development, updating/enhancing our current software, automation of support processes and documentation of our systems.
The ideal candidate must be detail oriented, have superior verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, able to juggle multiple tasks at once, able to work independently and can maintain professionalism under pressure. You must be able to identify problems before they happen and implement solutions that detect and prevent outages. You must be able to accurately prioritize projects, make sound judgments, work to improve the customer experience, and get the right things done.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
- A minimum of 3 years of technical support experience is required.
- Systems Administration / Engineering background required.
- The ability to program to solve problems and automate repetitive tasks in a common scripting or programming language such as Python, Perl, Java, or Ruby
- Deep knowledge of the Linux operating system.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues.
- A history of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in a dynamic environment.
- Should be genuinely excited about technology, have a strong interest in learning about and playing with the latest technologies. Must be a self-starter and motivated.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field.
- Flexibility, thinking on your feet, and strong problem solving skills.
- Demonstrable track record dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering measurable results in a dynamic environment.
- Creation of baseline metrics and monitoring of service health.
- Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence.
- Development depth in OOP, Java, UNIX, Perl, C++, XML, Web services, and UNIX tools.
- Security domain experience strongly desired.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top