Support Engineer - Claymation team
- Herndon, VA
The Claymation team is looking for a Support Engineer.
The AWS Claymation team works with and supports the services and tools which support AWS - like CloudFormation, CloudTrail, Config, and more. As a member of this team, you will be exposed to most AWS services and technologies. Our support engineers work in a fast-paced environment with our multi-disciplined service teams to deliver these cutting-edge services to our customers. Claymation team members own the scaling and management of services across AWS regions supporting the US Government.
AWS is looking for engineers passionate about both development and operations. The candidate should have a strong desire to learn and be curious about Amazon's internal and external services. This is a true DevOps role; you will be both allowed and expected to follow problems all the way to the end and work on implementing real solutions and not just quick fixes. A candidate who wants to go deep and understand how these large systems work will get a chance to excel in this position.
A Claymation Support Engineer will:
• work with other engineers and service teams to build, manage massively scaled services and diagnose, resolve customer issues
• perform code builds, deployments and read complex service code
• track the health of our services, identify and fix problems on complex systems with massive scale
• refine operational process and procedures
• participate in team planning and lead small projects
• mentor junior team members
• develop simple tools and scripts
• monitor metrics and dashboards to maintain service SLA's
The candidate should have a solid understanding of Linux operating systems, to including at least half of the following:
• Various distros and their corresponding package management tools
• Permissions and permissions management
• Log parsing using grep, awk, sed, cut, tr, etc
• Network tools (ip, ifconfig, netstat, tcpdump, strace, netcat, ping, telnet, etc)
• System Monitoring Tools (top, *stat tools, etc)
• DNS and tools (bind, host, dig, nslookup, etc)
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
• Minimum of 3 year experience with administrative access to a computer system.
• Minimum of 2 year basic tools experience in a Unix-like environment
• Minimum of 1 year experience working with a Linux or Unix-like command line.
• Familiar with debugging applications running on Linux and/or Unix servers.
• Minimum of 1 year experience with of one or more programming or scripting languages
• Current, active US Government Security Clearance of TS/SCI with Polygraph
• Bachelor's Degree in computer science, mathematics, or a related field
• Experience in a 24x7 production environment, esp. one based on Linux
• Good troubleshooting skills at all levels, from application to network to host
• Experience with performance testing and tuning
• Automation or monitoring framework experience, deployment or development
• Experience with large distributed IT systems
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We are dedicated to supporting our new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top