Are you passionate about the future of Edge Compute? Do you find yourself getting excited about Public Cloud's continued expansion towards the Edge? Does 5G enablement of Edge IoT use cases lead you to consider writing another white paper? If you want to help build new capabilities that will unlock future workloads for compute services, enabling developers to serve use-cases that require ultra-low latency like machine learning inference at the edge, autonomous industrial equipment, smart cars and cities, Internet of Things (IoT), and Augmented and Virtual Reality you should consider joining our AWS Infrastructure Vanguard Strategy and Planning team.
Our team supports the global expansion of AWS's Edge portfolio, across AWS Wavelength, Local Zone, Outpost and Ground Station. We believe the future includes a vast array of use cases that serve end-users with ultra-low latency and high bandwidth over 5G and public internet last mile connectivity. We help to develop new products and capabilities that enable service expansion at the Edge, globally. We answer questions like "where should we go", "why should we go there", "what should our design and engineering standards be", "how should we budget for the long term", "how can we continue to expand unconstrained" and "what new capabilities and resources do we need to continue leading this market".
Our team is part of the AWS Infrastructure Strategy and Planning team which defines the expansion, launch and build strategies for new infrastructure deployments, worldwide. Our team is constantly evaluating opportunities to reduce cost, improve performance, expedite delivery and optimize our processes and controls to deliver the best product and experience for our customers. In this role, you will integrate with AWS Product and Services teams, engaging internal and external customers to define Infrastructure Product and Feature concepts and requirements, develop forecasting models to feed expansion roadmaps and look for ways to invent and simplify our planning, engineering, deployment and operations/sustainment workflows and mechanisms. You will be called upon to develop or influence new product strategy and development seeking to balance and optimize performance, cost, and time to market. You will review, revise and help manage our demand forecasting models, seeking opportunism, scale economics and flexibility. You will be relentless in driving for higher velocity, ease of accommodating change and investment in strategic partnerships, resources and capabilities that enable unconstrained growth of our business. You will need to become an AWS Infrastructure expert on how we plan and build AWS data centers and will collaborate across infrastructure, engineering, operations, physical security, product and finance teams to deliver negotiated contracts and site build plans.
The ideal candidate thinks big, invents and simplifies around problems, and does not easily sacrifice the long term for quick wins. You will possess strong technical depth, likely with a background in engineering or technical planning, development, program management or operations acquired on the job. You are an excellent writer and have experience developing long range expansion strategies inclusive of P&L creation and cost management. You have superior execution skills, leading or coordinating teams across all phases of the infrastructure deployment, including planning, budgeting, site assessment and selection, design, installation, networking, operations, and monitoring, communicating delivery schedules, assessing risks, defining and monitoring KPIs, and aligning plans with stakeholders. You will be expected to know, learn and act as a technical leader for all aspects of our design and delivery phases including design/construction/operations, network design/build/operations, HW procurement/supply chain, capacity planning and Edge Compute service offerings. The candidate will be expected to be proficient in all technical aspects relating to data center design and installation, AWS cloud, and networking and will also aggregate and perform knowledge management functions over technical design constraints, delivery schedules, cost drivers and service level agreement (SLA) definitions to inform our stakeholders. The candidate will assess risks, anticipate issues, overcome technical obstacles, make difficult trade-off decisions, and balance business needs and technical constraints. We know that no candidate will have 100% coverage in all of these domains. Our team has a comprehensive and aggressive bootstrap training program that will develop the candidate's technical and business acumen in the data center and network design, engineering, security and operations domains.
As part of the Infra Strategy and Planning new products team you will frequently be on the forefront of implementing new infra technical solutions and product lines, plan holistically, and operate independently. You will be influencing and driving programs valued in excess of hundreds of millions to billions, USD, requiring buy-in across multiple executive stakeholders at the director/general manager, VP and SVP levels.
If you're excited by being part of an innovative team leading the AWS Cloud through its Global Edge Expansion, this role is for you.
Amazon is a committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• Bachelor's degree in an IT-related field, or equivalent experience
• 5+ years' experience in a cross-functional business strategy role
• 5+ years' experience in IT-related business or product development
• Experience creating and managing profit and loss (P&L) statements.
• Experience developing new business cases or product go to market strategies
• MS, MBA, JD, or other advanced degree
• Hands-on experience in an engineering role (e.g. Electrical/Mechanical Engineer, SW developer, NW engineer, Systems Engineer)
• Experience planning for Data Center capacity as build or lease
• Demonstrated ability to develop a business case for new features or geographic expansions
• Familiarity with the product management lifecycle: gathering requirements/customer inputs, design, engineering, implementation, and optimization.
• Proven experience in prioritizing and managing large scale enterprise projects using project management tools
• Demonstrated experience driving overall strategy and teams across organizations.
• Can independently identify down-stream programmatic and technical risks/opportunities (i.e. system incompatibility, resource unavailability) and escalate them to the appropriate tech resource before they become project threatening.
• Demonstrated ability to learn and master new technical subject-matter, quickly
• Excellent writing ability
• Experience working with international teams
• Experience building short and long range plans of record inclusive of schedule and budget.
• Experience briefing and influencing leaders at or above the VP level
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role