Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
Come work at Amazon!
As Sr.Wireless Systems Engineer Layer 2/ MAC layer, you will work with a wide variety of functional groups and will be deeply involved in system requirements and modeling traffic flow scenarios to validate the design. This role is responsible for defining and modeling of Project Kuiper's Layer-2 wireless communication systems protocol from customer end points via Low Earth Orbit satellites.
In this role you will:
• Be part of the team defining the system design, architecture of Project Kuiper's broadband wireless Layer-2 MAC (Data path and control path) system design and architecture from customer end points via Low Earth Orbit Satellites.
• Create the systems specification/documentation for technical-focused implementation such as Layer-2 standards published for 3GPP, WiMAX, DOCSIS, WiFi etc.
• Work as a part of the team with customer & business requirements to define the throughput / availability of network resources, assignment of resources to each customer area and develop algorithms for optimal radio resource allocation and coordination mechanisms.
• Work as a part of the team in building a suite of system and network simulation environment in NS3/ Matlab / C++ / Python.
• Work as a part of the team drives trade-off analysis to benefit customer experience and optimization of resources (costs, power, latency, spectrum efficiency, etc.) and develop packet queuing and scheduling algorithms.
• Drive various system level optimizations.
• Work as a part of the team to work closely with hardware and software implementation teams to evaluate and simulate expected system level performance and provide quick feedback on potential improvements.
• Work as a part of the team to work with the Test teams to seamlessly test and validation of System Design and performance evaluation.
• Work as a part of the team to work with the Physical layer and Network layer teams to seamlessly integrate the link-layer within the Network stack.
• Integrate the link-layer with simulation infrastructure and work closely with implementation teams to determine external technology suppliers.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
• Bachelor /Master degree in Electrical Engineering, related discipline, or equivalent experience with 7+ years professional experience or PhD with 5+ year's professional experience
• Wireless Communications System design and development with emphasis L2 data plane and control plane protocols (i.e. MAC, RLC, PDCP, SDAP, RRC ).
• 7+ year's professional experience working in Layer-2 Protocol, Media Access Control (MAC) layer.
• 5+ years of experience developing code in NS3, OPNET, Matlab, C, C++, or Python.
• Masters or PhD with emphasis in broadband wireless or wireline communication systems.
• Experience with industry standard coding and regression practices for modeling and validating MAC protocols.
• Experience in wireless standards like 3GPP 5G/LTE/4G/3G, DOCSIS, WiFi/ 802.11, Wimax, DVB-S2 / DVB-C, OR similar broadband wireless standards such as Layer-2/MAC layer and experience in writing Layer-2 protocol specifications for either wireline or wireless broadband communication systems.
• Proficiency with modeling in MATLAB and/or C/C++/System C;
• Experience in test automation setup and scripting languages such as Python/Perl/Matlab
• Must have the ability to work in a small team and drive to go beyond expectations to deliver results
• Working knowledge of Network Simulators such as NS2, NS3, or OpNET
• Should have background in wireless LTE, 5G, RLC, PDCP, RRC and RAN protocols
• Knowledge of IP, UDP, TCP, HTTP protocols and analysis tools such as Wireshark
• Experience with current software development processes and tools including Agile, TDD, BDD, CI, Git
• Experience in modeling and validating MAC protocols using simulation tools like NS3, OPNET, etc. also understanding of network layer components such as IPv4, IPv6, MPLS, Mobile IP, routing, forwarding, etc.
• Deep understanding of Multiple access systems such as OFDMA, TDMA, OFDMA, CDMA, etc.
• Proficiency with network monitoring protocols and tools such as SNMP, RMON, Wireshark, Ethereal as well as experience with modern encryption and decryption methods and their implementation
• Broad spectrum of knowledge to be able to understand end-to-end network system architecture from wireless physical layer all the way up to application end-point.
• Implementation experience with wireless synchronization and parameter sensing techniques such as ranging/positioning based on signaling as well as low-power design expertise.
• Ideal candidate has a wireless communication systems or digital signal processing background, a passion for building real-world carrier-grade communication systems, and industry experience developing PHY/MAC layer software targeting embedded multicore processors in C/C++.
• Experience with Lab test equipment such as channel emulator, spectrum analyzers and Signal and network traffic generators such as Ixia or Spirent.
• Experience with leading technical initiatives and key deliverables.
• 3GPP NTN knowledge is a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us