The Operations Technology Network Engineering (OTNE) group builds the networks that power Amazon fulfillment centers and transportation sites worldwide. These networks are used by hundreds of thousands of associates, relied upon by operators of industry-leading fulfillment and transportation systems, and play a critical role in the delivery of shipments to Amazon retail customers.
We are looking for a Senior Wireless Network Development Engineer to provide technical thought leadership in the evolution of our next-generation wireless networks. Our networks support an ecosystem of autonomous robotics, industrial IoT, sensors, drones, location tags and various other mobile devices. As an engineer you need to be comfortable with taking risks and iterating on designs to ultimately deliver robust systems that elegantly scale. Information security and network reliability are at the core of your thought processes and you are respected as an influencer. In this role you will architect the largest fulfillment network in the world, and provide guidance and mentoring to network support teams to develop their skills and reinforce best practices.
The OTNE team has broad scope supporting multiple business units globally, from the smallest delivery locations in emerging markets to the most advanced automated fulfillment centers in North America, Japan, and Europe. This is a unique opportunity that will enable you to grow your skills as an engineer and have a lasting impact on Amazon's fulfillment networks for years to come.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Identifying, developing, and delivering technical solutions that improve the Availability of our wireless network technologies.
• Understand customer needs and create technical solutions utilizing wireless networking technologies.
• Identify and deliver solutions that reduce operational impact to customers and enable them with scalable, resilient, and cost optimized solutions.
• Dive deep on complex problems that identify root causes of our customer impacts, developing and delivering corrective actions.
• Evaluate new technologies, lab test/certify solutions, conduct proof of concepts, run books definition, and lead pilot deployments.
• Innovate and automate infrastructure testing, deployment, operations, and life cycle management.
• Define the strategy for future team processes and tools which improve how we maintain and manage the infrastructure effectively, efficiently, and safely.
• Effectively contribute to hiring and developing top talent at Amazon.
• 7+ years of experience designing, deploying, configuring and operating large scale wireless networks
• Expert knowledge of at least one vendor's Wireless hardware - Access Points, Wireless Controllers and Wireless client Bridge
• Expert level knowledge of IEEE 802.11 standards including .11n and .11ac
• Expert level knowledge of wireless security - 802.1x, RADIUS, WPA2, EAP-TLS, PSK, general PKI concepts
• Expert level knowledge of RF Site Survey, Planning and Optimization
• Experience in designing and operating high-density AP and client deployments
• Experience in automating network administration using Python or similar languages
• Comprehensive understanding of other networking concepts (TCP/IP, Routing and LAN switching)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
• 802.11ax (wifi-6) knowledge
• PPSK / Mesh networking / Private LTE/CBRS, Outdoor wireless experience
• AWS networking and routing fundamentals
• Wireless certification; CCIE, MistAI, CWAP, CWDP
• Leadership skills and ability to influence and collaborate with other teams
• Experience working with vendors and prioritization of roadmaps/long term deliverables
• Knowledge of Agile/SCRUM methodologies
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation