Sr. Technical Writer, Device OS documentation
- Austin, TX
We are seeking a Managing Editor to help us deliver documentation for APIs, devices, and services for the Device OS developer community. The Managing Editor serves as the primary point of contact for running editorial QA and publishing services for the developer-facing documentation that the Device OS team builds. The documentation includes tutorials and quick-start guides, conceptual overviews, developer guides and sample code.
This position requires superior communication skills and the ability to reach across teams to develop strong working relationships with the engineers who are writing content. The Technical Writer needs to operate with autonomy and discretion, demonstrating strong judgment both in how to engage with stakeholders and also in how to raise the editorial bar of the docs. This person keeps the developer experience top of mind when making decisions, and they work to design, optimize, and manage processes and workflows across stakeholders, handling high volumes of content.
The Device OS team helps device makers onboard Amazon SDKs, for example Alexa Voice Service and Alexa Connect Kit. If you're passionate about managing and editing docs for mobile app and game developers, this could be the spot for you. To be successful in this role, you need to have experience in document rich technical content like technical user, installation or troubleshooting guides for embedded devices or cloud services and be able to put yourself in the developer's shoes and understand what the developer wants to achieve.
The ideal candidate for this position will have demonstrated ability in collaborating with highly technical teams in a fast-paced environment, as well as demonstrated ability to edit and raise the bar on high-quality technical documentation. Working knowledge of documenting cloud or embedded software APIs is preferred.
• Manage simultaneous documentation projects, including building and running the workflows where you engage with the engineering stakeholders across the organization to raise the bar on and publish their content
• Edit and deliver technically accurate documentation to help developers successfully adopt Amazon SDKs and services
• Own the editorial bar for the entire documentation set, including the documentation architecture, editing and testing
• Continuously gather information from Business Development, Product Management, Developer Marketing, and Tech Support to produce best practices and react to the needs of developers
• Bachelor's Degree in English, Technical Writing, Computer Science, Learning Technology, or related field
• 5+ years of experience editing documentation for a developer audience
• 3+ years of experience working directly with designers and technical subject matter experts
• 5+ years of experience using multiple documentation tools to write, format, manage, and publish high-quality content
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Passion to thrive in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
• A proactive and open-minded attitude to resolving problems and delivering results.
• Experience with web technologies or embedded APIs
• Experience editing for an international audience
• Experience editing scenario-based documentation for app and game developers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//.
Back to top