Sr. Technical Program Manager - Machine Learning
- Seattle, WA
Do you want to protect the shopping experience of hundreds of millions of Amazon customers and contribute millions of dollars directly to Amazon's bottom line? Do you feel excited about applying cutting-edge Machine Learning techniques to solve real-world problems? Do you enjoy a diverse, collaborative and inclusive team environment? Join Amazon's Payment Risk Machine Learning (ML) team to prevent fraudulent and abusive transactions across every Amazon product line.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for passionate Sr. Technical Program Managers (TPMs) to work with our bright ML scientists and engineers on the best-in-class risk management systems. This is a highly visible role that requires substantial business acumen as well as technical depth. If you are passionate about innovation, want to have organization-wide impact, and are looking for opportunities to drive key ML-related programs from idea all the way to production, we look forward to talking to you.
What will you be doing?
In this role, you will be responsible for scoping and delivering large end-to-end ML-related projects. This requires one to:
• Collect business and technical requirements from internal and external customers.
• Write business requirement documents and specifications.
• Clarify ambiguities along the road. Define delivery scope, timeline, roadmap, and milestones clearly and properly.
• Estimate project impact and development effort. Make appropriate trade-offs to optimize return-on-investment and make the best use of resources.
• Coordinate with cross-functional teams (e.g., ML scientists, engineers, operation teams, product managers, etc.). Manage the delivery timeline and drive the development progress.
• Communicate project status to a broad audience including senior management.
• Proactively identify risks, bottlenecks, and roadblocks. Initiate technical deep dives and/or organize working sessions to solve problems and mitigate risks.
• Develop, summarize, and promote best practices.
• Brainstorm innovative ideas and push the boundaries of ML technology.
This is a unique opportunity for qualified candidates to drive the entire life cycle of highly impactful, real-world ML applications at scale.
About the team
The Buyer Risk Prevention team under the Customer Trust and Partner Support (CTPS) organization is a central place in Amazon that protects our customers and all Amazon's businesses from account take-over, fraud, and abuse. Specifically, the Payment Risk Machine Learning team protects Amazon and its customers from fraud and abuse by developing machine learning models and applying cutting-edge technologies to the order pipelines of all Amazon businesses, including but not limited to Amazon.com, Amazon Physical stores, Amazon Pay, etc.
ML is changing the world in fundamental ways. Fraud prevention nowadays is heavily dependent on ML and data driven strategies, which we use to outsmart bad actors. We want you to join us in this journey, applying the most advanced ML techniques to keep Amazon the safest and most trusted place in the world for our customers.
• 7+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
• Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
• 5+ years of technical program management experience
• 3+ years of experience working directly with data analytics / machine learning teams.
• Bachelor's degree in a quantitative or engineering field (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, etc.).
• Understand Machine Learning techniques in breadth and depth. Has the ability to break-down complex business requirements and technical issues related to ML applications. Previous hands-on experience in machine learning, predictive modeling, and/or large-scale data analysis is preferred.
• Superb communication skills, including both written and verbal. You will own key documents for the team that will be shared with partner teams and senior leadership. Previous experience in a customer-facing or technical consulting role is a plus.
• Ability to bring clarity to ambiguous issues and make appropriate trade-offs to optimize overall impact, time-to-deliver, and resource utilization. Previous technical program managing experience is preferred, but you could also have acquired the expertise by other means.
• Analytical ability to proactively identify risks, bottlenecks, and opportunities for improvement, both at the project level and at the team level. You will need to engage with the stakeholders and senior management to resolve these issues and seek continuous improvement of the program.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top