Not many teams aspire to zero. Welcome to the Worldwide Returns & ReCommerce team (WWR&R) at Amazon.com.
WW R&R is an agile, innovative organization dedicated to 'making zero happen' to benefit our customers, our company, and the environment. Our goal is to achieve the three zeroes: zero cost of returns, zero waste, and zero defects. We do this by developing groundbreaking products and driving unparalleled operational excellence to help customers keep what they buy, recover returned and damaged product value, keep thousands of tons of waste from landfills, and create the best customer returns experience in the world. We have an eye to the future we create long-term value at Amazon by focusing not just on the bottom line, but on the planet. We are building the most sustainable re-use channel we can by driving multiple aspects of the Circular Economy for Amazon - returns, recommerce, and rentals.
Amazon WW R&R is comprised of business, product, operational, program, software engineering and data teams that manage the life of a returned or damaged product from a customer to the warehouse and on to its next best use. Our work is broad and deep: we train machine learning models to automate routing and find signals to optimize re-use; we invent new channels to give products a second life; we develop world-class product support to help customers love what they buy; we pilot smarter product evaluations; we work from the customer backward to find ways to make the return experience remarkably delightful and easy; and we do it all while scrutinizing our business with laser focus.
As the Sr. TPM, you will be responsible for scoping and delivering large projects end-to-end. Responsibilities include collection of business and systems requirements from internal and external customers, writing specifications, driving project schedules from design to release, and managing the production launch. You will lead and coordinate design/implementation efforts between internal teams and outside merchants and vendors to develop optimal solutions. You will be expected to make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to internal cross-functional and remote project teams.
The right candidate will possess a strong technical program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background in current web technologies. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. As a TPM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role. You should also have the ability to hire, coach, and mentor individuals; build a strong cross-functional organization. Be a champion of engineering and operational excellence and establish team metrics for that excellence; including a consistent, regular process for assessment and improvement. Represent the technical organization and evangelize the work to senior leadership. Raise the bar on technical excellence, show thought leadership, and communicate well to different audiences.
We are a group that has fun at work while driving incredible customer, business, and environmental impact. We are backed by a strong leadership group dedicated to operational excellence that empowers a reasonable work-life balance. As an established, experienced team, we offer the scope and support needed for substantial career growth.
Amazon is earth's most customer-centric company and through WW R&R, the earth is our customer too. Come join us and innovate with the Amazon Worldwide Returns & ReCommerce team!
• BS in a technical discipline (Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics).
• 5+ years of experience in technical program management
• 5+ years of experience building and/or managing large distributed solutions
• Experience creating enterprise and consumer products
• Great problem solving skills, desire to solve problems that have no textbook solution
• Experience working in or leading teams following agile software development practices (Scrum, etc).
• Self-starter, quick learner and passionate problem resolver
• Presentation and written communication skills are essential, as is the ability to build partnerships with senior leaders across a variety of groups throughout Amazon.
• Product Management experience in defining product vision and roadmap for external facing products.
• Experience with large scale distributed systems
• A deep understanding of software development, architecture, and infrastructure.
• Strong desire in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems
• Design and coding skills in some language on some OS platform
• Good debugging and troubleshooting skills, with an enthusiastic attitude to support and resolve customer problems
• Working experience in at least 1 modern programming language (Java, C/C++, Perl, Ruby, Python, etc).
• Experience in Mobile app domain
• Excellent analytical and quantitative skills; bias towards data-based decision making and comfort with pro-forma financial and operational analysis.