Looking for an exciting challenge to accelerate your career? Are you customer obsessed? Imagine being part of a team that predicts inventory flows for Amazon's worldwide supply chain. Amazon's worldwide inventory planning involves many algorithms to buy inventory in the right quantities, at the right frequencies, from the right vendors, and assigning to the best warehouse to fulfill customer demand forecast. Our massive simulation system lives at the heart of these algorithms, keeping up with the rapid pace of optimization improvements and simulating how they interact with each other. We simulate what these systems will do for months into the future, predicting inventory flows across the network for both labor planning and AB test experimentation, end-to-end from vendors to customers.
The Amazon Supply Chain Optimization Technology (SCOT) organization is looking for a highly motivated and technically adept Technical Program Manager (TPM). As a Technical Program Manager (TPM) in SCOT's Simulation and Experimentation (SimEx) team, you will work on one of the largest distributed systems in the world in order to support new use cases and design its future state, you will think of how we can leverage newer AWS technologies (specifically technologies such as ECS and EMR), that will allow our next generation system to run elastically at a much larger scale and on demand, as well as define new frameworks (data APIs, plug and play technology) that will allow supply chain teams to integrate their components in simulation in a low touch manner. You will be responsible for managing key technology programs across our SimEx tool set, successfully delivering new functionality and meeting program goals.
As SimEx TPM, you will drive roadmap execution for the simulation & experiments suite. You will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role. This TPM role will be highly visible across Amazon's supply chain system teams. You will be partnering with and influencing the direction of multiple engineering teams within and outside of SCOT to deliver complex/cross-functional projects. The right candidate will possess a strong technical program management background, and knowledge of distributed systems technologies. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in, and get the job done.
Finally, here are some more reasons you might find this opportunity exciting:
• Being part of a team that is at the heart of the most sophisticated supply chain and decision making system on the planet.
• Working at the intersection of science and engineering to simulate and predict future supply chain flows in order to ultimately impact Amazon user experience (by helping supply chain teams run experiments that allow for speed and same day availability for example), saving hundreds of millions of dollars using cutting edge science and technology on the way.
• Closely collaborating with some of the brightest software engineers, scientists, and economists, in order to solve complex supply chain problems and implement systems to tackle these challenges at scale (trillions of simulation events per day), and an evolving need for faster and more scalable applications.
• Being part of a team that values creativity and welcomes outside of the box thinking (thinking big!).
• Being part of a team with a high emphasis on a positive work culture of collaboration.
• Being part of a fast growing team with many growth opportunities.
• 5+ years of Technical Program Management experience in a related industry
• 3+ years of coding experience in , or equivalent language
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical field
• Track record for being detail-oriented with an ability to self-motivate and follow-through on projects.
• Excellent problem solving and analytical abilities
• Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals.
• Experience in distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications
• Experience with MapReduce concepts and Hadoop / Elastic MapReduce
• Understanding of AWS technologies like DynamoDB, ECS, S3
• Experience managing efforts in Unix/Linux environments