Sr. Systems Dev Manager
- Seattle, WA
Seeking a Leader to build a new EC2 Operations and Engineering team in Seattle!
We are looking for a strong Systems Engineering and Operations Leader to build a new team and own the future growth of our organization at Amazon in Seattle, WA. A successful Senior Manager in the AWS EC2 Government org will do much more than lead teams of Systems Engineers in writing code, launching new features, and triaging problems. You will set the standard for automation and working at scale, dive deep into technical issues, and work diligently to improve the customer experience. The ideal candidate will:
Be great fun to work with. Our company credo is "Work hard. Have fun. Make history". The right candidate will love what they do and instinctively know how to make work fun for their teams.
Have strong Linux & Networking Fundamentals. The ideal candidate will have deep experience working with Linux, preferably in a large scale, distributed environment. You understand networking technology and how servers and networks inter-relate. You regularly take part in deep-dive troubleshooting and conduct technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues.
Insist on the Highest Standards - Whether you are reviewing or writing a promotion document, event post mortem, or vision and roadmap, you insist that documents from your teams be clear, concise, and convincing (we love data).
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
• Lead the deployment and operation of AWS Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) in regions with specialized security needs.
• Create and refine the staffing and support plan for these regions.
• Report on the health of these services at an executive level.
• Drive root cause analyses, and coach others on doing them.
• Drive continual improvement in systems operations through tool building and automation.
• Definition the roadmap for our services - including brand new ones - in collaboration with our product managers, other development and engineering managers, and engineers.
• Define and drive projects and report on their progress.
• Meet with customers to develop relationships and clarify requirements and schedules.
• Collaborate with and learn from world leaders in distributed systems development and operations.
• Work in an environment where operational excellence is truly the first priority.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life-both in and outside of work.
• B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering, related field, or equivalent experience
• Minimum 10 years technical operations experience
• Minimum of 7 years of management experience
• Minimum of 5 years systems experience in UNIX/Linux
• • Experience developing in a modern programming language, such as C++, Java, C#, Python, or Ruby
• • Excellent troubleshooting skills and a proven documentation methodology
• • Experience in supporting critical software systems in operational environments
• Experience in production monitoring and metrics reporting
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
• Ability to work well with people and be both highly motivated and motivating
• Experience with a 24/7 production environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience coordinating projects across organizations that span hundreds or thousands of people.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top