Sr. System Development Engineer - new AWS initiative
- Boston, MA
AWS is building several new analytics-driven services that will transform the sales and marketing ecosystem. We are looking for Systems Development Engineers to help build the devops practice for a brand-new service, including scale, security, and operations. If you are looking to be part of a new strategic AWS initiative, have a startup-DNA, and want to create the next-generation sales engagement offerings, contact us to learn more!
Systems Development Engineers are expected to develop best practices, refine operational procedures and constantly innovate proactively. You will continuously identify areas of growth within the existing frameworks, tools and processes to develop further technical mechanisms to reduce waste and continuously improve. Our ideal candidate is autonomous, detail oriented, possesses strong written and verbal communication skills and has experience working at scale. Systems Development Engineers work hand-in-hand with service teams to invent new ways of operating Amazon's Next-Generation Network while never losing sight of the high security bar our customers demand.
This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon's world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
• Solving problems at scale excites you.
• You are interested in being part of a high-bar team with global responsibility for software used across all of our sales and marketing teams.
• You do not implement specs from analysts and architects you talk to customers and design solutions to their problems. You automate and innovate.
• You believe that the craft of software engineering is about writing code right the first time. For you, code reviews and automated testing are not chores they are a core part of writing great software.
• You do not throw your code over the wall. You launch it, own it, support it and make it incrementally better for the benefit of customers.
• You enjoy working in a flexible, fast-paced, collaborative team environment.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have twelve employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 6+ years of relevant work experience
• Experience in automation via scripting and configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt, CloudFormation, Terraform)
• Bash experience plus knowledge of at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, Ruby)
• A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• Advanced UNIX (preferably Linux) systems engineering skills.
• Excellent understanding of core internet technologies (e.g. TCP/IP).
• Working knowledge of security best practices
• A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment with multiple priorities.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent communication with peers and non-technical stakeholders.
• Have the ability to understand complex compliance requirements and work backwards to define actionable goals.
• Excellent leadership, teamwork and collaboration skills.
• Strong Linux experience from provisioning to performance tuning, and a solid grasp on operating system fundamentals.
• Graduate degree a plus.
• The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential.
• Record of mentoring other engineers to maintain architectural vision and software quality.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top