Sr. Software Engineer
- Herndon, VA
Are you a hands-on software development engineer who is ready to not just use the power of the cloud, but also design and build out the next generation of cloud infrastructure? Are you excited about solving hard problems, building cutting edge new features and the challenges of scaling technology to meet ever demanding customer needs?
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) is looking for a senior Software Development Engineer to join the Data Transfer Metering and VPC Flow Logs teams.
Our customers make use of a highly diverse set of products and features to create cutting edge solutions that run on top of the AWS cloud. From small scale setups to large enterprise configurations, data is transferred between various components. We give our customers the ability to capture information about their network traffic via the VPC Flow Logs feature. VPC Flow Logs are critical for troubleshooting and analyzing complex network topologies, security rules, and system permissions. We program mostly in Java and use scripting (Ruby/Python/etc.) whenever possible to automate.
Each individual on our team is expected to be a leader; be pro-active on acting on behalf of our customers to exceed expectations on quality, speed of delivery, and communication. We challenge each other to put forth deliberate efforts to grow and improve our skills.
To learn more about EC2, check us out here: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/.
Here are some reasons you should come have a chat and learn more:
• Our services are core to all modern Internet businesses.
• We own the complete software development lifecycle; defining, prioritizing, designing, building, and testing new features.
• Our AWS business is global; customers and technology is distributed world-wide.
• We will learn together; both growing in our technical prowess and business acumen.
• We listen to each other; this is a collaborative environment where everyone has a voice and we choose what's best for the customer.
• Our scale creates unique challenges and opportunities ripe for innovation.
• We operate as a start-up with a strong support structure. We ship code every day.
• We offer competitive salary, relocation and benefit packages.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills (C/C++ and/or Java preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform)
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and NoSQL databases
• Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
• Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive to launch new services
• Graduate degree in Computer Science or related field
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top